starter power cable

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
I’m doing a DIY big cable upgrade as well as replacing the battery positive terminal clamp with one a little more heavy duty...anybody know off hand what gauge the starter power cable is? I’m asking because I’ll be crimping a new lug onto it...it looks like it could be a 6 or an 8.

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
Well...i’m at work and not near my car...I thought about this after I was about to buy everything I needed, and was like oh crap I probably need a lug for that too...

Soap

Established Member
Fair enough. Most of those copper lugs will fit a size up (albeit snugly). So if you buy a lug for 8AWG, it will fit a 6AWG without any compromises.

--Joe

Last edited:

jbou91

Established Member
Big cable upgrade I understand... But why are you changing the starter + cable?

Engine block to ground, battery to ground and alternator to battery + upgrade is the essential "big 3" upgrade

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
The starter is the cable directly to the battery from the factory right (besides the small fuse box one)? Pretty sure its 6 but not sure. They make connectors you can buy at Home Depot that you can connect any size to. See my picture.

The other wire in my pic is one I ran directly to the Alternator. If you run a new wire for the alternator it needs to be fused. It also needs a wire to the fuse box or your batt light will be on all the time on your dash. On mine i left also the original Alternator wire hooked up for that reason and figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

To answer your question tho I am pretty sure stock is 6 awg

Attachments

• batt connector.PNG
    batt connector.PNG
    249.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread