Starter bendix gear contacted McLeod steel flywheel during 1/4 mile run

Blwnova

Established Member
Has anybody ever seen that happen before? I have a 2014 mustang gt making 710 rwhp with a roush tvs supercharger with a mt82 trans and rst clutch. I made a pass and thru it in neutral at the end to coast and when I went to pick up my time slip I noticed a loud clanging metallic sound almost like rocks in a tin can type of sound. Car shifted fine and clutch is engaging ok. Towed vehicle home for safety and put on hoist had my son start car in neutral while I was underneath and I heard loud metallic scraping sound from bell housing. Removed transmission the next morning and found starter nose gear was all worn down at the tip where it contacted the flywheel. Clutch components were ok and went thru the gears on trans to check for noise or play and looks good so far. Drained oil and trans fluid no pieces or metal came out. I just never see this before and got me stumped.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
How many miles on the car? Possible worn starter? Havent seen it happen on newer cars but have seen this happen on older fox bodies before an sn95 5.0

Blwnova

Established Member
How many miles on the car? Possible worn starter? Havent seen it happen on newer cars but have seen this happen on older fox bodies before an sn95 5.0
48000 miles. Original starter is getting rebuilt currently with new internals and drive gear

Users who are viewing this thread