Start to my turbo project!

prostkr

Established Member
Ive been following that thread. I trust what Bob says 100%. The only downside I see to pushing the 80s so far is the fact that in a return type system you have to remember the regulator also ramps the fuel pressure 1;1 with boost. So if you have a base 70 psi fuel pressure and are running 25lbs of boost now your at 95 psi fuel pressure. To much for the hoses and pumps in my mind. Will it work? Yes. Will it last? \..........? Ive already lost one big motor in my friends vette because a hose split. I am a big believer in the KISS philosophy.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I wonder if Jamie "Start N' Charge" is still making alts? I picked up a 180A from him as I suspected mine was toast too but I know he had a shop fire and I'm not sure if he has gotten back into the business.

His alt's are the best available.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
well when i checked mine it was 13.7 at the alt then at the distribution box it was 13.5 then at the fuel pump it was 13.0 and when data loged the car driving the highest was 13.8 and the lowest was 11.5 so id say its going bad. anyone have any thoughts. I am going to get this one rebuilt to see if it fixes it.

prostkr

Established Member
Ive had several alts give me decent voltage when cold. Then an hour later die way off when hot. Jamie had a post explaining that most cores he worked on had failed solder joints from heat. Part of his fix was to use epoxy and a different solder. I gave that info to my local guy and have great luck with rebuilds from them now. The charge me 80$

prostkr

Established Member
Another thing he does is run a nice 1 ga wire from the alt straight to the distribution box. Helps with the voltage drop. You can make one of your own. If you buy his alt he includes it.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
is theyre a voltage sensor or something else that could me going bad. I am going to test the alt today at a local alt place to see if thats the prob.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
i meant to say the resister..lol, sorry. I ran a 2guage wire from the alt to the distribution box and redone my soder wires last night. Ran 8guage wire to pump and my battery ground was a little loose but i tightened that and i bought a volt guage to mount in my glove box so i can see the volts and not trust the idiot light

MEAN_SBC

Established Member
Ive been following that thread. I trust what Bob says 100%. The only downside I see to pushing the 80s so far is the fact that in a return type system you have to remember the regulator also ramps the fuel pressure 1;1 with boost. So if you have a base 70 psi fuel pressure and are running 25lbs of boost now your at 95 psi fuel pressure. To much for the hoses and pumps in my mind. Will it work? Yes. Will it last? \..........? Ive already lost one big motor in my friends vette because a hose split. I am a big believer in the KISS philosophy.

The hose split??? What kind of hose??? 95psi isn't excessive if using steel braided or even push-lok fuel line... I run a 70psi base in my race car, and it's typically over 100psi fuel pressure by the top end of the track... Never had a hose issue... (knocking on wood.)

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
70psi base is definitely a little high but I don't really see it becoming too big a problem. It is in my opinion however that if you have to run your base pressure that high you have undersized injectors. Running a lower base pressure is a lot easier on your pump, you will run out of pump a lot sooner at higher pressures.

P.S. I believe Jamie has his Alt business up and running again if you do end up needing a new alt.

Last edited:

prostkr

Established Member
The hose split??? What kind of hose??? 95psi isn't excessive if using steel braided or even push-lok fuel line... I run a 70psi base in my race car, and it's typically over 100psi fuel pressure by the top end of the track... Never had a hose issue... (knocking on wood.)

It was the submersible hose supplied with a walboro pump kit. I cant remember the brand of the hose. We were using 4 pumps 2 in each tank. After we found the cause we researched the hose its rated to 200-250 psi "if installed straight" according to the manufacturer. It is not designed to be bent or curved. Why would anyone sell hose that cant be bent? LOL Anyway this is what took out a 440ci ls7 stroker motor.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/prostkr/Picture211.jpg

MEAN_SBC

Established Member
70psi base is definitely a little high but I don't really see it becoming too big a problem. It is in my opinion however that if you have to run your base pressure that high you have undersized injectors. Running a lower base pressure is a lot easier on your pump, you will run out of pump a lot sooner at higher pressures.

P.S. I believe Jamie has his Alt business up and running again if you do end up needing a new alt.

This is true... The only reason I run a 70psi base is because I'm tapped out on 160lb injectors... I bought some Moran 275lb injectors, but it's a plug foulin bitch at Idle... I actually swapped back to the 160's for that reason.

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
This is true... The only reason I run a 70psi base is because I'm tapped out on 160lb injectors... I bought some Moran 275lb injectors, but it's a plug foulin bitch at Idle... I actually swapped back to the 160's for that reason.

Sounds like you need the ID2000's! Get ready to spend more money though...

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
I think i got hte problem fixed. My pump is geting 13.8-14 volts at the pump steady. So im going to take it to kyshootout this weekend and try and get that ams1000 figured out.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Dont know if you have a shifter idea on which one your using but here is mine and just a idea on what it looks like (quarter stick)
carshifter.jpg

Do you have any more pics of how you mounted your shifter? I have a quarterstick I'm getting ready to put in, and yours seems to fit in there better than most I've seen. I was just gonna bolt and seal a plate over the manual shifter hole in the tunnel, then bolt the shifter to that. Did you do anything other than that?

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
Thats the same thing i did. Mount the plate over the tunnel and then bolt it to that. You might have to do a little trimming but other than that its pretty simple.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Thats the same thing i did. Mount the plate over the tunnel and then bolt it to that. You might have to do a little trimming but other than that its pretty simple.

How did you connect the shifter cable to the tranny? None of the levers that came with my shifter fit the tranny. Also what bracket did you use that bolts to the pan to hold the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread