Star Found Shooting Water "Bullets"

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Star Found Shooting Water "Bullets"

Seven hundred and fifty light-years from Earth, a young, sunlike star has been found with jets that blast epic quantities of water into interstellar space, shooting out droplets that move faster than a speeding bullet.

The discovery suggests that protostars may be seeding the universe with water. These stellar embryos shoot jets of material from their north and south poles as their growth is fed by infalling dust that circles the bodies in vast disks.

"If we picture these jets as giant hoses and the water droplets as bullets, the amount shooting out equals a hundred million times the water flowing through the Amazon River every second," said Lars Kristensen, a postdoctoral astronomer at Leiden University in the Netherlands.

"We are talking about velocities reaching 200,000 kilometers [124,000 miles] per hour, which is about 80 times faster than bullets flying out of a machine gun," said Kristensen, lead author of the new study detailing the discovery, which has been accepted for publication in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.

(Related: "Dimmest Stars in Universe Spotted?")

Water Vanishes, Only to Reappear

Located in the northern constellation Perseus, the protostar is no more than a hundred thousand years old and remains swaddled in a large cloud—gas and dust from which the star was born.

Using an infrared instrument on the European Space Agency's Herschel Space Observatory, researchers were able to peer through the cloud and detect telltale light signatures of hydrogen and oxygen atoms—the building blocks of water—moving on and around the star.

After tracing the paths of these atoms, the team concluded that water forms on the star, where temperatures are a few thousand degrees Celsius. But once the droplets enter the outward-spewing jets of gas, 180,000-degree-Fahrenheit (100,000-degree-Celsius) temperatures blast the water back into gaseous form.

Once the hot gases hit the much cooler surrounding material—at about 5,000 times the distance from the sun to Earth—they decelerate, creating a shock front where the gases cool down rapidly, condense, and reform as water, Kristensen said.

(Related: "Coldest Star Found—No Hotter Than Fresh Coffee.")

Stellar Sprinkler Nourishes Galactic "Garden"

What's really exciting about the discovery is that it appears to be a stellar rite of passage, the researchers say, which may shed new light on the earliest stages of our own sun's life—and how water fits into that picture.

"We are only now beginning to understand that sunlike stars probably all undergo a very energetic phase when they are young," Kristensen said. "It's at this point in their lives when they spew out a lot of high-velocity material—part of which we now know is water."

Like a celestial sprinkler system, the star may be enriching the interstellar medium—thin gases that float in the voids between stars. And because the hydrogen and oxygen in water are key components of the dusty disks in which stars form, such protostar sprinklers may be encouraging the growth of further stars, the study says.

(Related: "Supersonic 'Hail' Seeds Star Systems With Water.")

The water-jet phenomenon seen in Perseus is "probably a short-lived phase all protostars go through," Kristensen said.

"But if we have enough of these sprinklers going off throughout the galaxy—this starts to become interesting on many levels."

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
How exactly do they detect water vapor 750 light years (4,399,272,000,000,000 miles) away?

I can barely get a cell phone signal 10 miles from the city limit. :bash:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
How exactly do they detect water vapor 750 light years (4,399,272,000,000,000 miles) away?

I have to agree. While I don't doubt that it is something in liquid form, they can't be positive without tests to confirm it is water. For all we know, their might be some other form of liquid just as important as water, but not found on our own planet or even in our own galaxy.:shrug:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
They can be sure, it's called spectroscopy. Every element, every molecule, has it's own characteristic signature, and what they are seeing here is the signature for water.

Jim Snover

I have to agree. While I don't doubt that it is something in liquid form, they can't be positive without tests to confirm it is water. For all we know, their might be some other form of liquid just as important as water, but not found on our own planet or even in our own galaxy.:shrug:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

Light Spectroscopy.

Look it up.

EDIT: What Jim said. :)

wjk

Established Member
Very cool, nice find!

With all the advanced telescopes these days the interesting stuff were going to see over the next decade is going to be amazing. The Webb Telescope which is going out in a few years should tell us a lot more too.

Time to focus on space travel now. With all this crazy stuff being observed we're going to need some serious space machines or wormholes...

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
They can be sure, it's called spectroscopy. Every element, every molecule, has it's own characteristic signature, and what they are seeing here is the signature for water.

Jim Snover

Never knew they used a form like mass spec to figure that out. One has to wonder how accurate that is over such a great distance.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Interesting read for sure. I dont know much about space, but wouldnt water in space be ice? I understand close to the star the heat would keep it in liquid form at a distance...i dunno maybe I'm thinking to much into this!

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Interesting read for sure. I dont know much about space, but wouldnt water in space be ice? I understand close to the star the heat would keep it in liquid form at a distance...i dunno maybe I'm thinking to much into this!

It would be vapor.

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member

lmao, that's pretty funny.

Nasa > Verizon.

lol there's your answer.

The article is very interesting. The amount of water it mentions is unbelievable! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread