Stang2WRX - OEM Chrome Wheel Mod

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Stang2WRX
no.. they are chrome plated... not just bare alloy.

they were fully chrome plated and then the backs were painted? weird..

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Originally posted by BADASS03SVT
they were fully chrome plated and then the backs were painted? weird..

Yup...
No seams... pure chrome...

Like I said before, this is most likely to avoid customers complaining about having to shine up the chrome under the rotors... They also left off the final polishing stage on that part so the paint could stick, and most likely to save money.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Stang2WRX
Yup...
No seams... pure chrome...

Like I said before, this is most likely to avoid customers complaining about having to shine up the chrome under the rotors... They also left off the final polishing stage on that part so the paint could stick, and most likely to save money.

cool..who gave YOU the idea?

Stang2WRX

Established Member
I asked around about it... to see what material was under the paint. Soem guys were using steel wool - but just sanding that pulley cover was a lot of work, so I wasn't about to do 4 wheels that way...

I polished the frame and rims on my CBR with this stuff so i figured I'd just give people a hint on how to do it much easier...

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Nice write up and pics! The length of time the paint has cured on the wheels makes a difference as far as ease of removal. The longer the paint is on the wheels, the harder it is to remove.

I used Ace Hardware Laquer Thinner. From your pics, it looks like the Aircraft remover product works well, as well. :)

BTW, use caution when using these paint removers as they are some mean chemicals. Watch your kids and pets and don't get the stuff on your hands or face [I learned the hard way when I got some under a fingernail]...

Edit-I went through 2 pairs of paint stripping rubber gloves...

Last edited:

nothing

nothing
Established Member
damn...didnt even notice they were painted when i had them off, thought they were machined that way...i am definately doing that!

Last edited:

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
Nice write up and pics! The length of time the paint has cured on the wheels makes a difference as far as ease of removal. The longer the paint is on the wheels, the harder it is to remove.

I used Ace Hardware Laquer Thinner. From your pics, it looks like the Aircraft remover product works well, as well. :)

BTW, use caution when using these paint removers as they are some mean chemicals. Watch your kids and pets and don't get the stuff on your hands or face [I learned the hard way when I got some under a fingernail]...

Edit-I went through 2 pairs of paint stripping rubber gloves...

The aircraft remover didn't eat through my gloves at all...
But I wore safety glasses, and i should have worn long sleeves... got some on my forearm and probably could have watched it eat through my skin.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
It is likely they painted the iner lip to prvent customer complaints about plating quality. It is very hard and expensive to get a whole rim to plate good, espcially on the rear lip that deep.

I might have to try that mod. I'm sure in person it makes the rim look much deeper since it now brings out the depth of the rim.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
that looks awesome man! good job!

what do you think the aircraft remover will to on machined wheels (non-chrome)?

Mine are pretty dirty from all the brake dust over the last year and a half. would it bring them back to life?

Users who are viewing this thread