Stage 1 Comp Cams sound clips?

carguy96

Established Member
Looking to buy a set of comp cams from a fellow cobra owner, and I’m trying to see if anyone has any sound clips from a 03/04 car with stage 1 blower cams in it.

The cams I’m looking at are supposedly a stage “1.5” based on the cam specs.
Anyone know if they think these will make some decent sound at idle?
(Attached is an exhaust cam spec for reference)

Attachments

• A69EDAFC-8D3C-4EE6-AD22-2F6DD8C401B4.jpeg
    A69EDAFC-8D3C-4EE6-AD22-2F6DD8C401B4.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 139

olympic

Established Member
It's going to sound fairly stock with those specs. Here's mine with Crower stage 2 cams. 222/222 duration, .475 lift. Just a hint of cam lope in the idle. If you're willing to play with the centerlines and lobe separation angles, you can make it sound however you want.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have custom Comp cams with durations in the low 220s. It has just a slight lope. I would stick with the centerlines listed on the card. There is more overlap with more duration. Decreasing the lobe separation to get chop further increases overlap. Too much overlap will lead to reversion. Reversion promotes high intake temperatures and poor low speed performance in our supercharged cars.

carguy96

Established Member
It's going to sound fairly stock with those specs. Here's mine with Crower stage 2 cams. 222/222 duration, .475 lift. Just a hint of cam lope in the idle. If you're willing to play with the centerlines and lobe separation angles, you can make it sound however you want.

I assumed that they would not sound crazy aggressive being the profile that they are. I am new to cams, so I’m trying to understand all of the specs and how they relate to sound and driveability.

My motor is apart now, and since I was here, my friend asked if I wanted to do cams. My budget right now is a bit time (the guy selling these cams would sell them for about 1/2 of where I can get them anywhere else) and I was hoping to drive my car this summer. Seems like all of the places that do custom grind cams are 4-6 weeks out right now.

carguy96

Established Member
I have custom Comp cams with durations in the low 220s. It has just a slight lope. I would stick with the centerlines listed on the card. There is more overlap with more duration. Decreasing the lobe separation to get chop further increases overlap. Too much overlap will lead to reversion. Reversion promotes high intake temperatures and poor low speed performance in our supercharged cars.

When you say centerlines, what are you referring to?

And I’m assuming your cam profile would be very similar to these and I could expect a similar sound?

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have a little more intake duration and a lot more lift. Yours would sound extremely similar, but maybe a tad calmer. Your lobe separation is 115* that is a wide separation that reduces overlap (good). The centerlines are probably 114* intake and 116* exhaust as most Comp cams use those centerlines to make that lobe separation. You start getting the intake valve too close to the piston when you advance the intake centerline too much further. The cam card that comes with your cams will have that information on it. Those are good midrange cams that will carry power to the top end. You could increase your compression by a point or so with them and still be safe on 93 octane. More charge + more compression = more power (until you squeeze it to hard and it detonates).

Last edited:

carguy96

Established Member
Good to know, and I think your cams sound pretty darn good!
From my lack of experience, they sound on the tamer side of the cam spectrum, but I’m sure you still have good drivability and gives me a much better idea of what I can expect. I am mainly looking for a bit of sound out of these vs. anything else if I end up going with these cams.
My current setup on my car is a 2.8KB Mammoth making 19psi, Fore Fuel system, 93 octane fuel, etc.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Your intake valve is going to close further up the cylinder during the intake stroke because of the increased duration. This will lower the cranking compression a little because the valve has to be closed to begin compression. That is why I suggested another point of swept volume (or mechanical) compression compression to regain what is lost in cranking (or dynamic) compression due to the valve closing later. These cams should not lower the cranking compression in a stock engine more then 0.75:1 or drop the dynamic compression below 7.0:1. So, you will have a significantly increased charge volume at an appropriate compression - just not the ultimate compression for a 93 octane charge. Was the seller going to rebuild his engine or just add the cams?

My car performs like stock at lower RPMs and putting around. Herman tunes them that way because he says you do not spend most of your time in boost. It pulls hard up to 4000 rpm and from there it hits like a 2 cycle bike in the power band until redline. Yours are similar enough to mine to be sure you will like them.

carguy96

Established Member
Your intake valve is going to close further up the cylinder during the intake stroke because of the increased duration. This will lower the cranking compression a little because the valve has to be closed to begin compression. That is why I suggested another point of swept volume (or mechanical) compression compression to regain what is lost in cranking (or dynamic) compression due to the valve closing later. These cams should not lower the cranking compression in a stock engine more then 0.75:1 or drop the dynamic compression below 7.0:1. So, you will have a significantly increased charge volume at an appropriate compression - just not the ultimate compression for a 93 octane charge. Was the seller going to rebuild his engine or just add the cams?

My car performs like stock at lower RPMs and putting around. Herman tunes them that way because he says you do not spend most of your time in boost. It pulls hard up to 4000 rpm and from there it hits like a 2 cycle bike in the power band until redline. Yours are similar enough to mine to be sure you will like them.

Thank you for the info! I’m replacing the valve stem seals, and I figured since I’m here, now might be a time to upgrade the cams and springs of the right deal was there.

shurur

Established Member

carguy96

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and get on nasvt cam FB site. He can spec some out for you for cheap.

NA SVT Cams Classifieds
ToddWarrenCams, Modular Tech Group Public Group | Facebook

The reason I’m looking at these specific cams is because I need to put my motor back together within 2 weeks to get it back in my car to be able to get my car Dyno tuned and actually drive my car this summer.
This whole cam thing was more or less a last minute idea. If I were to buy new through Todd Warren and Kurgan, (after speaking with them) sounds like I’ll have to wait 4-6 weeks just to get their custom grind cams.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Your setup with the Stage 2 cams sounds really good. It definitely has just a hint of cam lope, which sometimes is all you want or need. I personally like yours.

cj428mach

Established Member
Those would be nice cams to have, the car should drive really well if they are installed correctly. I kind of want them......

Quick Strike

Established Member
Those would be nice cams to have, the car should drive really well if they are installed correctly. I kind of want them......

They are a huge improvement over stock or Ford GT cams, and he can get them at half price!

Users who are viewing this thread