SSC Tuatara top speed run, 331mph. 316mph average for the record.

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Wait, so my comment at first about it not looking as fast as I expected might actually be true?! Holy shit if so

I thought what you said. I wanted to see what it's like going that fast and was expecting to see the dashed lines become one or objects whipping by so quick you can tell what they are.... It wasn't what I expected

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought what you said. I wanted to see what it's like going that fast and was expecting to see the dashed lines become one or objects whipping by so quick you can tell what they are.... It wasn't what I expected
Yea, even rewatching it now, the entrance/merge arrows at "100mph" seem awfully slow...BUT, I fully know that video doesn't do speed justice. My drag strip and road race videos look boringly slow even when going well over 120+ mph. Hopefully just a misunderstanding or clerical issue.

Last edited:

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Definitely a mess, but I have a feeling they will release all the raw footage to clear it up.

Simple answer is to rent the correct facility and put it in the hands of someone with some cred. Add a vbox, draggy, 5th wheel (lol), whatever you can do. The old shuttle landing strip where they do top speed runs ought to work??

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Definitely a mess, but I have a feeling they will release all the raw footage to clear it up.

Simple answer is to rent the correct facility and put it in the hands of someone with some cred. Add a vbox, draggy, 5th wheel (lol), whatever you can do. The old shuttle landing strip where they do top speed runs ought to work??

I don't remember why, but I'm pretty sure no one is allowed to use that strip anymore. I read something a while back about Koenigsegg thinking the Veyron's recordn't could be touched because the high speed loop was owned by VW and the only other place to do it was that NASA strip and it was no longer an option. Hence the necessity to close down the highway and do it there.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
I don't remember why, but I'm pretty sure no one is allowed to use that strip anymore. I read something a while back about Koenigsegg thinking the Veyron's recordn't could be touched because the high speed loop was owned by VW and the only other place to do it was that NASA strip and it was no longer an option. Hence the necessity to close down the highway and do it there.
That Johnny Boehmer guy does videos from there all the time.

Dusten

Established Member
I just listened to the designer on Matt Farrah's podcast. He kept saying wait till the datalogs come out

Kevins89notch

Established Member

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
They gave it another go, but on a shorter track this time. Even with that, I find it hard to believe they'll back up their original numbers had the track been as long as the original run.

A Chiron that ran there appears to have used far less of the track and still hit 260 (example, Chiron was doing 80mph at the same spot the SSC was doing 130mph.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Looks like they did use the Shuttle landing strip, pretty cool.

They still think it will go over 300, will be cool to see.

Users who are viewing this thread