SRA Vibration

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
A couple years ago I swapped to an Solid rear axle, and i've had vibration issues since it was done.

Key Parts used:
  • 99-04 housing
  • new bearings everywhere
  • non adjustable aftermarket control arms
  • cobra driveshaft
  • GT flange

The vibration is noticeable when you're on the gas. It seems to begin very slightly around 60 but becomes more present around 80. It's at a very high frequency (similar to driveshaft) and is speed dependent. It seems like I can feel it worsen at even higher speeds but the car makes so much damn noise Its hard to tell.

One thing is positive... when you let off the gas it goes away.

I've tried "clocking" the driveshaft in every position with no luck.

Any advice? Could this be related to backlash?

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
What gear is in the car? Do you feel it in the rear end or in the shifter or somewhere else?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i'm not an expert, but if it is only present when you're on the gas, i am thinking it is ring/pinion related. it isn't speed related, or there would be a vibe even when you're decelerating at those speeds.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Try adding a dog-bone on the rear end. It's a vibration/noise damper.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
i'm not an expert, but if it is only present when you're on the gas, i am thinking it is ring/pinion related. it isn't speed related, or there would be a vibe even when you're decelerating at those speeds.

Agreed.. I hadn't dug deep into the rear yet (plan to this winter,) however I think this fact alone is pointing toward pinion bearing issues.

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Sounds to me like its the rear gears. It may not have been set-up correctly and the backlash might be to tight/loose. Id put another ring and pinion in it with a new crush sleeve. That should take care of it!

Users who are viewing this thread