Squirrels...

thehiredgun

Space Ghost
Established Member
So, after some truly garbo weather I decided to take the 350 to work. Hop in, start it up and there's a major lope followed by Low Oil Pressure, Check Engine, Advance Trac Off Lights across the dash. I figure since the sounds was muted but not terminal sounding to shut it down and try again. Same story, even had "Refer to Owner's Manual" pop up. I would've spent way too much time messing with it so I just swapped to the truck but decided to pop the hood first. Immediately noticed wiring going to the MAF sense is chewed in two with a section almost fallen off. Then I notice more copper staring at me. Much more. The front 3 cylinders on the driver's side had their injector wires and I think the spark plug coil connection chewed back to the main harness. I'm assuming since the low oil pressure signal came on that meant the oil pressure sending sensor's cables had been chewed also. Fortunately, kinda, I think that's the extent of the damage.

This is pretty obviously an insurance claim, see "act of god", but I'm concerned about the path forward. Seem like to me the right thing to do would be to replace the entire effected harnesses. I really don't want the car just hanging out at the dealership waiting on parts and such. I'm in San Antonio and have had good luck with Northside Ford in the past. My thought was to meet with a service writer and possible the service manager and explain the situation asking them to send a tech to my house to diagnose and order parts before towing the car there. Any chance anyone has a wiring diagram? I'd love to look into exactly what goes where and what I should expect to ask to have replaced.

What would y'all suggest?

KBN

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I doubt they will send a tech to your house. The big problem you're going to run into is you don't know the extent of the damage. I would get an insurance quote (amend it as necessary) and do the work myself.

Also, are you sure it wasn't mice? Might be time to set some traps.

thehiredgun

Space Ghost
Established Member
We have an over abundance of squirrels in my area. That along with the fact there were pecan shells brought into the engine bay tells me squirrels. Not that it matters really, rodents with skinny or fluffy tails. I think it may be time for an outdoor cat...

Good point on the insurance claim and quote. I guess I could have them out to give me an estimate at least and go from there. After looking at the engine wiring harness install from CJPonyParts, it seems a lot more doable. Looks like the harness can be had for about $200 bucks or so. Now I need help figuring out which harness it the one that ultimately connects to the mass air flow sensor.

Thanks for the response!

KBN

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had squirrels, mice, and birds nesting in my F250 Powerstroke every now and then over the ten year period I owned it.

I took my nephew to see a movie and pulled in to park, got out, and we walked towards the theater. My nephew tugs at my shirt and points me back towards the truck. Smoke was billowing from underneath the hood. I ran back and tried to get it out and directed him to run in and get a fire extinguisher from the theater. Thank God they gave him one as it put the fire out - it was blazing. Fire trucks showed up, the police, it became a big event. Anyway, I had the truck towed to the dealer and then had to deal with the insurance company. They sounded as if they didn't believe me and made it seem as if they suspected arson. I told them I just wanted it fixed and wasn't looking for a new truck. I was deposed by an attorney anyway.

Two weeks later I get a call from the insurance company. They wanted to meet me at the dealership to look at something. When I got there they were all in a huddle around a table. As I approached the table the insurance guy apologized for not believing me completely. On the table lay a huge mouse nest. They had packed in straw, dry grass clippings, sticks, you name it, underneath the intake manifold. The drive to the theater got it hot enough and poof, a fire. It cost $14,000 to replace the battery, turbo, and all the harnesses atop the engine. They never even removed a valve cover and it still cost that much.

Moral to the story, I no longer leave any of my vehicles outside. If I see any evidence of the above I immediately go on a search and destroy or trap/kill whatever it is that decided to squat on my property. Might sound like a bit of a stretch but it could save your life or at the least it may prevent your house from burning down.

thehiredgun

Space Ghost
Established Member
Update! Got it all fixed up! Swapped the engine harness which was a bit of of a PITA but my OCD just would not allow it to not be perfectly replaced.

SO GLAD TO HAVE MY 350 BACK!!!

Thanks for the advice SID!

KBN

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Glad to hear you got it fixed. But damn dude, it's a GT350, park in a garage.. LOL

thehiredgun

Space Ghost
Established Member
1950's house so lots to be done to get the garage up to snuff. Not to worry, preparations have been accelerated considerably...

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I hate mice, they have cost me thousands over the years. I use poison bait around my house religiously now.

thehiredgun

Space Ghost
Established Member
Someone showed me some herbs that really bother rodents and such that you can get at Wally World... I'm thinking about getting some to spread around and maybe also make a little sack cloth pouch with it to leave under the hood when I'm not going to be driving for a little bit. The trick will be remembering it's there so I don't have a car that smells like burnt garlic bread!

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I love mice and cars, makes me lots of money. The little rodents especially love the area under the fuse box on Chevy trucks, and the injector harness on GM 3.6's.

nickf2005

Established Member
I had a co-worker at one time that he had a buddy from Toyota explain why these varmints seem to love the harnesses. Some of them are coated with recycled veggie/peanut oil to help with installation and the little turds get a whiff of that and go to town.

Glad you got her fixed. I live in a woods and my neighbor had them get his F150 ignition coil wires twice. I try shooting the things as much as possible, but they are everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread