Squealing from under/rear of car when cold. Driveshaft carrier bearing?

ReefBlueCoupe

Established Member
(Obligatory "I already did a search" disclaimer)

My 2011 GT (39k miles on it) has developed a squealing noise from underneath/toward the rear over the past couple weeks. It only does it when the weather is cold and the car is cold.

Things I've done in order to eliminate the usual culprits of brakes/parking brake/throwout bearing:
- Only does it under light acceleration or coasting. Hard acceleration silences it. Comes back immediately upon letting off the throttle
- Does it with the trans in neutral or in any gear/neutral
- Braking force of any amount does not change it
- Application of the parking brake while moving in any amount does not change it
- Clutch pedal depression of any amount does not change it.
- If I accelerate hard enough to really load the driveline, it goes away. Let off the throttle either in gear or coasting in neutral, or with the transmission still in gear and the clutch disengaged, and the noise immediately returns.
- Volume/frequency coincides with driveline speed only and not engine speed. Depressing the clutch pedal and revving the engine does not change frequency or volume of the squeal.

I've looked around underneath, and I can't find where anything is rubbing anything.

My conclusion is that it's probably the driveshaft carrier bearing since it's only doing it while the driveline and ambient temperatures are cold.

Once I've driven for 10 minutes or so, the noise goes away and stays gone once warmed up, until after the car has been parked until sufficient time has passed that the driveline has cooled off again. It was almost 70 degrees earlier this week, and I didn't hear it at all.

I don't know what's left to check. The car is not heavily modded. Springs, panhard bar, and a Boss 302 H pipe. The exhaust is all tight and secure.

Anyone had a similar problem?

I'm buying a driveshaft soon anyway as I plan on supercharging the car and would like some safer supporting mods. It's bugging me for the time being.

Thanks in advance.

You can hear it in these videos I took today. I tried to get a longer sample, but the damn noise wasn't cooperating :mj:

[video=youtube;M73dZgPszmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73dZgPszmc[/video]

[video=youtube;FSa-IxBGBs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSa-IxBGBs4[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread