Spy Shots: Ford's GT Program Going Strong?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

Here’s a rather peculiar mule of the Ford GT supercar undergoing testing near Ford’s Allen Park test laboratory in Metro Detroit. The sighting is very curious since Ford is said to discontinue the GT in the near future (2022), and the fact that we haven’t seen a mule in about five years. This mule showing up at a facility where they do EPA testing seems to indicate that the Ford GT program is far from over.

web-ford-mule-1.jpg

Even more noteworthy is that the mule features an oil cap that has been moved from under the glass to where the current trunk sits, suggesting that the mid-engine supercar could feature a new powerplant under its mid-ship engine cover. Currently, it’s unclear what exactly is taking place under the hood, but a source familiar with blue oval has hinted at the possibility of the 7.3 Godzilla mated to a couple of turbos. Interestingly, the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 7.3 Godzilla occupy about the same amount of space, mainly because the 7.3 is a pushrod V8 and the 3.5 has a DOHC.

web-ford-gt-mule-2.jpg

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Sorry gents to pee in the Cheerios, the body is darn near shrink wrapped around the "guts". Ain't no way they are able to slip in a V8 (of any configuration) without a significant redesign. You talking 4"+ longer and 5"+ taller, not including any FI hardware that might be used. What do you do about transmission fitment now? Engineering don't leave that kind of free space in a purpose built car like this.

This is likely nothing more than some small calibration change. A simple parts supplier change of a emissions component could be driving it. That, or someone inside FoMoCo is simply providing ammo for the media rumor mill.

Beside, current GT owners would be very pissed if a big, bag new model is offered, and leaves their cars in the dust. These are largely very loyal Ford ambassadors.

blk02edge

Established Member
Sorry gents to pee in the Cheerios, the body is darn near shrink wrapped around the "guts". Ain't no way they are able to slip in a V8 (of any configuration) without a significant redesign. You talking 4"+ longer and 5"+ taller, not including any FI hardware that might be used. What do you do about transmission fitment now? Engineering don't leave that kind of free space in a purpose built car like this.

This is likely nothing more than some small calibration change. A simple parts supplier change of a emissions component could be driving it. That, or someone inside FoMoCo is simply providing ammo for the media rumor mill.

Beside, current GT owners would be very pissed if a big, bag new model is offered, and leaves their cars in the dust. These are largely very loyal Ford ambassadors.
Im with you, the odds are so incredibly poor on such an over engineered car to just slam a big pushrod V8 in it just 'cuz. I'd LOVE to see it though. So I will still hope somehow we are wrong.

Bensin

Established Member
But are you a real Ford ambassador if a 7.3 in the GT bring out your pouty face?
I am so desp that I cling to click baites at this stage.
In my mind 7.3 GT happen because the Ecoboost is the new V8 in this forcing of EV everything from Ford. The Ecoboost brand is no longer hot, and the Le Mans spec GT halo car is no longer needed. They can go all out big liter V8 style in this new GT. What is the odds of ads featuring Ecoboost in F-150 when the F-150 EV hit the dealer lots? Or it can just be testing of a new filler cap.. The odds. It is Ford. LOL.

Last edited:

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
while we are dreaming, can the MSRP start with a 2 instead of a 4 this time :)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Guys.

22 is the last model year for the GT. It's been unveiled, here is the livery which pays homage to the original prototype.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...2021/08/12/2022-ford-gt-heritage-edition.html

1628766165368-gif.63809

I'll just quote what @DBK said on his forum.

DBK said:
Darn, they forgot to include the V8 or the aero kit in the PR for the "final year of production." So there you have it (or rather, at least some of it), for the "final year of production."

I think that silver car designation is TT5, which was the first aesthetic mule for the original Comp series. An engineer brought it by one day early in the program. Marketing has most or maybe all of the leftover cars at this point, so if there's someone from the actual program team with a legit reason to drive one, it's probably that one.

All that tape on the rockers is covering NACA ducts that got cut into that for air inlet a couple years ago that never got used (mkII stuff). Those goofy exhaust pipes are the test setup, so that you can hook up a dump pipe with a V-band clamp to them in a closed test room and not spew fumes everywhere. The oil cap is...the normal oil cap just without the shroud around it.

I honestly have no idea why the car was being driven around other than to say if there was any engineering shit being done at this point, the last thing I heard about involving any engineering was some California-related emissions issue for which there was no waiver for that required a hardware change. Seeing cars like this driving around here is just normal. I see a bunch of mules every single day from every company in the area. It's easy to take a pic and post clickbait saying "our top secret sources say something super secret is occurring!" Or some dude from Roush got the opportunity to take a test car to Chipotle.

72SBC

Established Member
I was mtn biking today and thought about the original GT40 and how it had a small engine and the larger 427 in it. Would be sick if Ford did put a v8 in it after all, go out with a bang.

Go out and hug your Viper. It’s all we got lol. Let’s remember the good times. I wish I saved the simpsons meme of it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread