Spy Shots — 2022 Ranger Raptor Mule Caught Testing

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
From SEMA:

i-DQ8PKhQ-X4.jpg

This is a mule for the next-generation Ranger Raptor in Metro Detroit.

Last week, photographers got shots of a current-gen Ranger Raptor testing with a gasoline engine and posed the question “Is this just a powertrain mule for the next-gen Ranger Raptor?” Apparently the answer was “yes.” This mule doesn’t offer up much in exterior changes, but it does appear to have the next-gen interior (it’s fully camo’ed), next-gen suspension (it’s hidden by camo bristles) and next-gen powertrain (it clearly had a gas engine and now features dual exhaust).

According to Road and Track, “This new truck has a project code of P703 and shares much of its design with the upcoming Bronco. The frames for both the next-generation Ranger and Bronco are being launched by the same team at Modatek, according to social-media profiles for engineers.”

Powertrain options aren’t known at this point, but the ’19 Ranger FX4 debuted with a version of the 2.3L Ecoboost used in the Mustang and Lincoln MKC paired to a 10-speed automatic, although other engine options for the Ranger Raptor could consist of a version of the 2.7L Ecoboost V6, also found in the F-150 (this mule sounded like it had a V6).

i-qSQ2cLZ-X4.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like the look of the rear. Looks promising. It's going to have a strong appeal to many who prefer the size over a full-size truck.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Hard Pass.

I currently have a Ranger Rental. Meh

Suspension is Sloppy, transmission has brain farts and build quality is ho-hum 2010 Ford.

21mpg, 90% 50mph highway 2wd.

My 2005 Tacoma is better built, driving and more torquey with a nicer bed.

Rangers top into the 50's, so I can't see paying $50-65k when I can get a F150 Raptor for $55-70k.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Hard Pass.

Suspension is Sloppy, transmission has brain farts and build quality is ho-hum 2010 Ford.

Rangers top into the 50's, so I can't see paying $50-65k when I can get a F150 Raptor for $55-70k.

The 02-07 fx4 level II is the ranger to buy. The new one sucks ass imo.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Hard Pass.

It sure seems as if Ford half-assed the new Ranger. Some really poor functionality quirks (back seat folds down stupidly, no soft open tailgate, etc.) The Taco and GM twins are relatively old in comparison, and the Ranger is at best, somewhere mid-pack.

Maybe this is intentional to protect cannibalization of the F series.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Hard Pass.

I don't care for the new Ranger either. Especially the price point.

Are you having any frame rust issues? I hear that's been a big problem for Toyota in the recent decade.

SHOdown220

Established Member
My next vehicle will be another truck, I would like a midsize as I don't really need a full size but the money they want for them I can't help but look at full size trucks around the same price. Seems you can get a pretty good discount on a full size that makes the price difference negligible.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
My next vehicle will be another truck, I would like a midsize as I don't really need a full size but the money they want for them I can't help but look at full size trucks around the same price. Seems you can get a pretty good discount on a full size that makes the price difference negligible.

A 2 year old F-150 is the way to go.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Im waiting for the Bronco. Talked to a friend from highschool that works for Ford in the GT program and he said we are all absolutely going to want one and said he is getting one as soon as they drop. Dont know how much truck it will be but I still want one.

blk02edge

Established Member
Im waiting for the Bronco. Talked to a friend from highschool that works for Ford in the GT program and he said we are all absolutely going to want one and said he is getting one as soon as they drop. Dont know how much truck it will be but I still want one.
Out of all these up coming vehicles the Bronco is #1 on my anticipation scale. 20x more excited for it than anything else, I just pray that Im not let down. Knowing that its ranger based IFS is a bit of a bummer already though

Users who are viewing this thread