Spun Bearing Fresh Build. Cut losses?

97snakebite

Established Member
Hey guys, looking for some input. Fresh Built Teksid with approx. 200 miles ( on the high end ) that spun a bearing. The car was still being tuned/broke-in and this was maybe 2 miles after hard pull to 60 in 2nd/3rd @ 3/4 throttle(T-5656 swap). I was sitting at a stop light when i heard the most horrible squealing followed by a hard shake and stall. I Immediately looked at Oil/fuel pressure and both was good as this happened. Pulled the car back to the crib. I scoped the cylinders and they look perfect. So I'm hoping its just crank and bearings and nothing got around the oil system.

My question is best case scenario can I just have the crank and bearings swapped if that's the damage? No machining just cleaning.
Or is it better to start from scratch? Coyote Swap?

I haven't cracked the oil pan yet I'm doing that Sunday. I did put a socket on the crank and its rough to move

Car info:
D1 3.20 T-56 Holley HP ID1000

NewOrleans-YAT

Established Member
oh man. that is terrible. My tuner just asked me to log my first 3rd gear full pull. I built my motor and I am nervous as all getup. did you do the build?

97snakebite

Established Member
oh man. that is terrible. My tuner just asked me to log my first 3rd gear full pull. I built my motor and I am nervous as all getup. did you do the build?
Yeah it sucks. I had a local shop assemble the short block for me and do the timing. I built the heads. I supplied all parts but the bearings as I wanted them to order since they were putting it together.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jaxbusa

Established Member
Sorry to hear. I had a similar situation years ago with a 351 that pissed me off so bad I sold everything and gave up the Mustang game for about 8 years. I would probably fix whatever is wrong and keep it the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Sluggie24

Established Member
What were the bearing clearances set at? If they set the clearances then the cost of repair should be on them.

My bet is that they are unfamiliar with setting bearing clearances on an aluminum block and a main closed up too tight when the engine was hot.

52merc

Established Member
OE specs are:
Mains: 0.025-0.045 mm [0.001-0.0018"]
Throws: 0.027-0.069 mm [0.0011-0.0027"]

My guesses:
1. Not cleaned properly.
2. Poor pre-lube procedures.
3. Wrong oil.
4. Bad machining of the parts.
5. Poor assembly technique - just not checking clearances the way they should.
6. Any and all of the above.

As the engine warms up, the clearances increase slightly.

Sorry man. That really sucks and if it were me I'd be really mad. That's why I'm the only one to assemble my engines. Then its real easy to know who blame.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure there's no damage to the cams/retainers.
I spun a bearing, and it cooked my cams as well.

Three21

Established Member
Sounds like you might have shut it down before it could do too much damage. Best case is a rod journal and you get your crank turned 0.010 under on the damaged journal(s) and run oversized bearings and possibly replace the rod.

With limited carnage I would not be looking into a swap.

Odd that it happened after the pulls and not during. Have you drained the oil to see how much material (and oil volume) is in there? What's the bottom end look like?

Users who are viewing this thread