Springs, Shocks, Struts...

RioRed97SVT

Established Member
Looking at getting some H&R supersports with Bilstein Shocks and Struts. I admit i dont know much about suspension work at all. Its going on a 97 Cobra with 50K miles on it. Its my daily driver and dont need any autoX or Drag set up. Just looking for a nice lowered look and nice ride. What should i look for when buying and how much should i look at spending? Thanks for any help.

97 horse snake

Established Member
don't know the answers to your questions, but i was looking at going with the exact same setup, so please let us know how it turns out. thanks.

zac

amnpalm

Established Member
Get to know people with cobras. I did a dyno run last month with my club,'97 rio red 253 RWHP stock, and met this guy that was clean out his garage and said he had some stiff he wanted to get rid of. For $80.00 I get Eiback sportline springs, KYB struts & stocks, BBK camber / caster plates. He said they had about 2500 miles on them and the ride was alittle to hard for him. He was also about 55 years old. I'm 28 and going to do use the car for Autocrossing and opentrack events, so it should be perfect. Eighty more dollars for Sub-frame connectors and the car will be great fun at the track. Anyone have any engine performance parts they want to get rid of. Just E-mail me, I'll pay Shipping! Thanks, Matt Palm Atlanta, Ga

RioRed97SVT

Established Member
Well since nobody has really given any info on what to look for...im not sure what to go for...but so far the cheapest place ive found for the stuff is Shox.com...They are about $100 cheaper on the shocks/Struts..and price matching the springs.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I cant tell you price but if you are looking for opinions I can give you mine. I have a 96 with Eibach springs, Tokiko Illumina 5 way adjustable shocks, BBK upper and lower control arms and a set of Gripps Subframe connectors. My car handles quite well and is very tight in the turns and shifts. No flex or roll. I feel very confident going into a turn knowing that the car can handle it. I would however recomend caster/camber plates if you drop the car. I need some as my tires are wearing on the inside a bit. YMMV, IMO and all that jazzz

A

amnpalm

Established Member
Everyone is different and tries different things. Pick something and if you don't like it sell it on E-bay. and try again. That's why you buy mustangs, because there is a huge aftermarket for them. I'm sure what ever you get you will like.

bobh

Not so Senior SVT Poster
Established Member
There's tons of different setups possible... and different opinions.

Mostly it depends on:
Your usage. Street only or track also
Your budget. Adjustable dampners usually cost quite a bit more. Springs don't vary that much in price.
Your butt. How much firmness are you willing to put up with to get a flatter cornering car? Everyone is different. Everyone drives on different roads.

Springs come in stock soft to race hard. They come in linear or progressive rates. Progressives are better for street only use. You won't feel every bump and tar strip as much.

Shocks/struts. At the cheap end are the stock-replacement KYBs. Don't use these on a lowered car. They may not suck when new, but they will later when they give out quickly from the lowered suspension. KYB also makes an adjustable. Tokico makes good adjustables & non-adj. Koni's are considered the high-end brand. Bilsteins are self-adjusting.

Talk to Max Motorsports, if you haven't already, and ask what they have for a street use only setup.

btw, I use the KYB adjustables and Eibach Prokits on my '97. Non-adj Toks and Prokits on my '87. I go to a few track events every year.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I've got H&R's, SuperSports in the front. Very nice drop, the Pro-Kit doesn't didn't do much for what I wanted. I've also got the 5-way Tokicos, but will be swapping those out for Bilsteins in a while. Let me know if you want some pics, PM me or something. Definately need some C/C plates if you go with the Supesports. Hope this helps.

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
good choice on the Bilsteins :thumbsup:

up front, you could try running the 2003 Cobra struts, which are revalved Bilsteins. This is the combo I run. I'm pretty happy with it. My springs are Eibach Pro Kit.

cobra331

Established Member
STEEDA!!!

Steeda is the s*#t!!! I have their cc's, springs, 5-way adjustable Tokicos, front offset control arm bushings, and upper/lower control arms in the rear. I throw this car into every turn with confidence. NO problems on installing everything, NO parts quality issues. The other company I would suggest is Max motorsports. They're pretty damn good also.

Users who are viewing this thread