Springs for MM Coilover Kit

carguy96

Established Member
Been on here a little bit in regards to lowering springs and such, but need opinions/answers to what coil springs can be used with the Maximum Motorsports Coilover kit for the 03-04 Cobras.
Are you required to use the Hypercoil springs I’ve seen on their site, or can you use another spring, say H&R Race springs?

And if there is anyone that has the MM Coilover kit on their car, what kind of drop do you see? Possible to get a 1 inch drop from stock?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would imagine any spring that's the correct dimensions would work. They don't have to be Hyperco. If you're talking about the H&R's that go in the stock location, no those can't be used. But it you're talking about the 2.25" or 2.5" diameter springs I would think they'd work.

A 1" drop with a coilover kit is no problem. You can adjust it exactly where you want it.

olympic

Established Member
I bought Eibach coilover springs off Summit Racing and they work geat. You should be able to use any brand as long as they are 10" long, 2.5" ID for the front and 8" long 2.25" ID for the rear. The springs MM sent me were 400/600 lb/in front/rear which is good for track use but way too stiff for the street unless your local roads are glass smooth. I went down to 300/475 and it's much better, could have even gone softer if I wanted.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I bought Eibach coilover springs off Summit Racing and they work geat. You should be able to use any brand as long as they are 10" long, 2.5" ID for the front and 8" long 2.25" ID for the rear. The springs MM sent me were 400/600 lb/in front/rear which is good for track use but way too stiff for the street unless your local roads are glass smooth. I went down to 300/475 and it's much better, could have even gone softer if I wanted.
Funny. I have those same rates and sometimes wish it was a little stiffer in the rear.

olympic

Established Member
Funny. I have those same rates and sometimes wish it was a little stiffer in the rear.

Ride stiffness is personal preference. As I get older I find myself preferring comfort over other attributes. Plus the roads around here are terrible...lol!

carguy96

Established Member
Some of you brought up a good point, what a good spring rate would be. I would like something fairly stiff, but still a tad complaint.

In addition to that, anyone here have the FTBR kit, or the MM kit (for IRS bushings)? I'm assuming these would also help a bit in terms of handling.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Some of you brought up a good point, what a good spring rate would be. I would like something fairly stiff, but still a tad complaint.

In addition to that, anyone here have the FTBR kit, or the MM kit (for IRS bushings)? I'm assuming these would also help a bit in terms of handling.

That's one of the good things about the coilover set up. You can swap the springs to tailor it to what you want.

I have the FTBR set up on my car. I did it within the first couple of months after I bought it. Big difference in how the car handles. The biggest thing I noticed is the IRS doesn't feel like it disconnects in the middle of a hard turn. I do still deal with wheel hop occasionally. IMHO getting rid of wheel hop is a combination of tires, suspension, surface, and luck. When I had the G2's they would spin smooth everywhere but in front of my buddies house. They hopped every time I tried to be a smart ass and do a burn out when I left his place.

carguy96

Established Member
That's one of the good things about the coilover set up. You can swap the springs to tailor it to what you want.

I have the FTBR set up on my car. I did it within the first couple of months after I bought it. Big difference in how the car handles. The biggest thing I noticed is the IRS doesn't feel like it disconnects in the middle of a hard turn. I do still deal with wheel hop occasionally. IMHO getting rid of wheel hop is a combination of tires, suspension, surface, and luck. When I had the G2's they would spin smooth everywhere but in front of my buddies house. They hopped every time I tried to be a smart ass and do a burn out when I left his place.

I will probably end up with a stiffer spring, and it’s much nicer to be able to control that vs lowering springs.

And would you say that your money/time/effort was worth it installing the FTBR kit? Is it a noticeable difference over stock, or can you get away with replacing certain bushings and still getting a similar effect?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I will probably end up with a stiffer spring, and it’s much nicer to be able to control that vs lowering springs.

And would you say that your money/time/effort was worth it installing the FTBR kit? Is it a noticeable difference over stock, or can you get away with replacing certain bushings and still getting a similar effect?

I do think it's worth replacing all the bushings. In my 01 I only did the diff and cradle bushings and noticed a difference. However that car was taken care of a little better than my 04. In my 04 all of the bushings were in need of replacement. So it worked out. and honestly, I think it rode better after the new bushings were installed. The only real "complaint" is that I can hear the gear noise now because I went with aluminum diff bushings. But I'm sure some sound deadening under the rear seat would help. Or if I ever really want to I can swap to poly diff bushings. But for now with the windows down and radio up I don't really hear it. Or I could swap my Bassani X back on and really drown it out.

carguy96

Established Member
I do think it's worth replacing all the bushings. In my 01 I only did the diff and cradle bushings and noticed a difference. However that car was taken care of a little better than my 04. In my 04 all of the bushings were in need of replacement. So it worked out. and honestly, I think it rode better after the new bushings were installed. The only real "complaint" is that I can hear the gear noise now because I went with aluminum diff bushings. But I'm sure some sound deadening under the rear seat would help. Or if I ever really want to I can swap to poly diff bushings. But for now with the windows down and radio up I don't really hear it. Or I could swap my Bassani X back on and really drown it out.

Yeah my 03 is a higher mileage car, and could probably use new bushings anyway. I’m probably going to end up with the Maximum Motorsports Kit, as ive heard some good things about it and do not want any Aluminium bushings, I would prefer all of them be delran for a little more “give”.
I understand that swapping out all of these bushings is going to be a decent amount of work so I’m kind of looking for a one and done job, hopefully won’t ever have to do this again lol.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah my 03 is a higher mileage car, and could probably use new bushings anyway. I’m probably going to end up with the Maximum Motorsports Kit, as ive heard some good things about it and do not want any Aluminium bushings, I would prefer all of them be delran for a little more “give”.
I understand that swapping out all of these bushings is going to be a decent amount of work so I’m kind of looking for a one and done job, hopefully won’t ever have to do this again lol.
I'll admit it was a really long day when my buddy and I did them. But in the end it was worth it to me. I had poly diff bushings in my 01 and never heard the gears. Of course that car had an F1A and open BOV. So I didn't hear much of anything.

Users who are viewing this thread