Spring E85 question

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I took my gt500 out yesterday after sitting all winter. It started right up, no problem. When I parked it in October it had a full tank of E at 78%. When I started it up the E was only at 72%.

To increase my E content I filled it up at the place where I always go and it actually dropped my E content. Now I am sitting with a full tank at 68-69%.

What to do? My CR is 8.5 and my boost is set at 24 lbs. I assume it will be OK if I stay out of the boost.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Usually E70 to E85 you're good to go. E68 is definitely getting a little low. But if you have a nGauge or something to monitor your knock sensors I would keep a eye on them.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I see five quick options:

1) drive the fuel out, staying out of boost
2) remove the fuel and replace
3) get a tune for the 68% or whatever it's at
4) pull a few degrees of timing (if you can)
5) reduce wot boost by 2-4lbs with a larger pulley

My $.02

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
When you are originally tuned for spot on 85% and you get a tank of % less than that, the motor will run RICH

When you are originally tuned for 85% and you get a tank of % more than that, the motor will run LEAN

It's up to you and the tuner to decide what's too rich or too lean to neccisitate a revised tune to handle the difference.

Keeping an 85% tune and a 65% tune at minimum should cover most bases.

Dusten

Established Member
When you are originally tuned for spot on 85% and you get a tank of % less than that, the motor will run RICH

When you are originally tuned for 85% and you get a tank of % more than that, the motor will run LEAN

It's up to you and the tuner to decide what's too rich or too lean to neccisitate a revised tune to handle the difference.

Keeping an 85% tune and a 65% tune at minimum should cover most bases.
Its about more than the AFR. The octane difference and timing needs to be addressed.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Its about more than the AFR. The octane difference and timing needs to be addressed.

There are plenty of 8.5/1 03/04 Cobras making 800+ with E70 and a gen 4 or gen 5 whipple. And not just putting around, either....running 1/4 and half mile events with high timing. I think the op will be just fine with E69, it still has a massive amount of detonation suppression and even burn across the top of the piston. Ethanol % has to fall further than that before you start panicking.

But ask the tuner as I've already mentioned. Maybe he makes a slight adjustment that can be kept for future reference.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
at 68-69% E content, the mixture is actually richer now than it was at 78%.

You still have an incredible amount of knock protection with damn near e70 (effectively what is in your tank).

I wouldnt sweat it.

Dusten

Established Member
There are plenty of 8.5/1 03/04 Cobras making 800+ with E70 and a gen 4 or gen 5 whipple. And not just putting around, either....running 1/4 and half mile events with high timing. I think the op will be just fine with E69, it still has a massive amount of detonation suppression and even burn across the top of the piston. Ethanol % has to fall further than that before you start panicking.

But ask the tuner as I've already mentioned. Maybe he makes a slight adjustment that can be kept for future reference.

I didn't say it is unsafe. I said the change in octane is more concerning than afr.

And I run e85 and make 700+ on a 2v that beat the **** out of.

Users who are viewing this thread