Spray Detailer on Black Paint

mach14604

Established Member
I have a 1991 Black Notch Coupe. I love black as a color and know it is a PIA to keep looking good. My problem lies in when I wash the car it looks immaculate and really good. The moment I put some spray detailer on it is streaks like mad. I have tried several kinds and have had little luck. The first couple of times it happened I chalked it up to being out in the sun and absorbing heat. The last time it happened it was cool and had just washed the car. Any ideas to help me out? :shrug: I have tried Optimum Spray Detailer (works ok) Poor Boys Quick Detailer(streaks) Wizards( Does the best job so far), Turtle Wax black box detailer(streaks) Turtle Wax wax as you dry (streaks), CroftGate(streaks). The car was painted 2+ years ago. The only thing I have done since I acquired the car is Poor Boys Black Hole. I have thought about stripping everything wax wise (starting with clay bar) and starting from scratch. ANY ideas or products would help.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
One thing I've noticed since owning a black car is that whenever I've used a detailer spray between washings, it works better if I spray the surface (when it's cool), mist the microfiber, then make a few light passes with the microfiber over the area that I sprayed (not completely drying it), then using a separate clean microfiber to lightly buff the surface dry. This is pretty much how I've seen all waterless car wash products applied, so I figured it would work just as well for detailer spray, and so far for me it has.

I also think in your case it would help to do a complete car wash with Dawn to remove existing wax/sealants, then use a clay bar and go from there.

That's just my personal experience, I am by no means a pro.

Last edited:

fast ford brian

Established Member
The only spray anything we have used on our black yukon that worked is meguiars ultimate quick wax. No streaks ,removes the swirls , shines like a mutha . You can also use it in the sun !

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
I use meguairs final inspection, and found better results when I stripped the car of all the old wax and such.

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
The only thing you have done in terms of product is Black Hole? That is a glaze... and doesn't really have any protective qualities. My bet is when you put the QD on there you're smearing the glaze all over the place and getting craptastic results.

Back to square one with this....

Wash the car with dawn then do whatever you want to do but finish with a wax or sealant. The QD will work a whole lot better on a waxed/sealed surface.

snakezilla

Established Member
Try spraying detailer spray on your car after washing before you dry the car. You will be amazed how much better your car will look after you dry it. And yes all detailer sprays streaks on dark color cars and stands out most on black. You have to go over the entire car again with a fresh clean microfiber towel to remove the streaks. If you spay the car when wet with detailer spray and then dry the car it does not need to be gone over again.

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I only use surf city garage detailer spray on my black coupe. My truck gets meguires ultimate. Surf city leaves a deeper shine IMO.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

mixxer

Established Member
Quick detailer's that dont steak on black are - Surf city,Clearkote Quikshine Quick Detailing Spray,Megs ultimate ,optimum,and Ultima detail spray plus.

snakezilla

Established Member
Quick detailer's that dont steak on black are - Surf city,Clearkote Quikshine Quick Detailing Spray,Megs ultimate ,optimum,and Ultima detail spray plus.

I have used almost all of those and they left streaks all over my 2 black cars. I just get a fresh clean microfiber towel and wipe it right off.

mach14604

Established Member
The only thing you have done in terms of product is Black Hole? That is a glaze... and doesn't really have any protective qualities. My bet is when you put the QD on there you're smearing the glaze all over the place and getting craptastic results.

Back to square one with this....

Wash the car with dawn then do whatever you want to do but finish with a wax or sealant. The QD will work a whole lot better on a waxed/sealed surface.

Yeah that was my thinking also on it.

mach14604

Established Member
I would do what most already suggested. Start over from square one and build a solid base to work off of. Wash the car, use a clay bar and then get some nice products on there. You may want to look into Blackfire Wet Diamond. It has a lot of really good reviews when being applied to darker vehicles.

Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant - 16 oz [BF-300] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Matt

I have some Blackfire Wet Diamond. Do you think I should do the polish then the sealant? I have both. Can I put the black hole on in there somewhere or would you leave it out? What steps would you go in?

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have some Blackfire Wet Diamond. Do you think I should do the polish then the sealant? I have both. Can I put the black hole on in there somewhere or would you leave it out? What steps would you go in?

I would do without the Black Hole. Personally I've never seen great results when using it. I would grab a nice polish and lay that down and top it with the BFWD. After that I would use a good spray detailer or the Optimum Car Wax to maintain afterwards. You should have much better results without the streaking at that point.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have used almost all of those and they left streaks all over my 2 black cars. I just get a fresh clean microfiber towel and wipe it right off.

Surf city has never left my car streaky. How are you applying. Never apply in direct sun light or on a hot temp metal.

boostedpimp

Slut lover
Established Member
I was having the same issue with meg ultimate but reading through here I believe my issue was like stated above.. too much

TripleTrouble

4CAM5.OH
Established Member
I've always used Mothers Showtime on 3 black cars, (03 GT, 03 Mach 1, 04 Cobra), and had good luck with it. The other products suggested are probably a lot better quality than the Mothers is though.

termin80r

Established Member
When my silverado was black I always used mothers showtime with great results, but I clay bared and waxed it alot too, so maybe you need to start at square one and rewax it.

Users who are viewing this thread