Sportbike riders here please.

mr-mstng

Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
One more thing and probably most important of all, DONT DRINK AND RIDE a bike. The chances of a fatal mistake are 10 fold. Some peoples balls seem to get bigger when they go riding after drinking.

I can't emphasize this enough!!!! I agree 200%.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Spritle, it better run great. 15,000 on the clock is not a lot.

R-1's are sweet by the way. Oh you obviously know that. Good choice.

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
Spritle, it better run great. 15,000 on the clock is not a lot.

R-1's are sweet by the way. Oh you obviously know that. Good choice.

Yeah, I know 15,000 miles isn't a lot. However, to the majority of buyers it is.:shrug:

DesertLightning

Established Member
Okay here is my two cents on this one:

Get a small NON_SPORT bike. Why? This way you will more apt not to do anything STUPID,like stunin' or taking a turn too fast. Get your self a used Honda Rebel or something similiar. Why? These 250's are great to learn on, they are light, nimble and best of all the are NOT fast. They also are great turnover bikes in that you can resell them quickly and are an inexpensive way to get into the sport. IF you get a CBR, YZF, GSX R whatever first shot odds are you will become a 6 hr statistic, and none of want that. Sport bikes are finicky and hard to handle in lowspeed situations. You make a mistake on a SB and you are DONE!
Here is another tip, ALWAYS and I MEAN ALWAYS where your gear. I live in the Mojave Desert of California, 115 and I am in full leathers, helmet, gloves and, Boots. This gear saved my life big time.

Again, get a used 250, see if ya like it, then move up. Australia does this right, ya have to put time in CC class before you can move and you have to take a class to prove you can handle the bigger CC's.

One of the things I hate is when I got to a local shop and kids and even adults are in there looking at either crotch rockets 1 lt bikes or big ol honkin' Rune's as their first bike. Yeah they only have about 110-150hp but on a 400 lb frame that is a lot and at speeds of a 150 plus things happen quick.

Be smart about this please. Start small and work up.

http://www.themustangsource.com/motocrash/

Check out that link. Too fast, in the other lane. being what we call SQUIDS in the SB world.

Again, take it easy, contrary to popular belief these are NOT play toys.

MightyMo

Established Member
First, if you have not driven a bike. By all means, take the beginners MSF course. They have cruiser style bikes there for you to gain experience on, the insurance discount is good too.
I used to work at the local Honda dealership and would often brief the new owner about the bike. One thing I learned, it isn't necessarily the size of the bike. Size of the bike is just a "mind thing". My first bike was a 600cc. The fastest 600cc ever made, at that time. Some people just can't handle the "fast bikes" some can't handle the big cc bikes much less taller and wider bikes. When picking out your first bike, the smart buyer looks at a good used bike for the first one. But don't let the style or size of the bike limit your choice. Get the bike you know you'll be happy with. Have a good dealership inspect the bike thouroughly before you buy.
I have been riding for 13 years and I hate the Goldwing. Though its luxurious looks and style are awesome, the handling characteristics leave too much to be desired. Hell, at 60mph on the interstate, I experienced winds going over my head and coming around hitting me in the back. Well, just one example..
Sport bikes are a poor choice for a beginner rider and their reputation is just as poor. All bikes are fast!
Good luck and buy an Arai helmet and Joe Rocket jacket and gloves!

Users who are viewing this thread