speedo calibration for gears???

Cobra-R

Established Member
I am installing gears in my 01, what is the best method to compensate to keep the speedometer accurate?
I really don't want to install a chip, so what are my other choices. I have seen the "speed cal", is that my only choice? Can theses be programmed for tire changes in combination with the gears? Whats the good and the bad?

Thanks in advance, Brian

kwiksnake

Established Member
The best way is with a speedo calibrator box. They are sold by Sean Hyland, Dallas Mustang, etc. They are very easy to hook up and can be reprogrammed by you as many times as you want by flipping some switches inside the box. Makes it nice if you decide to change tire sizes or gears again.

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I am installing gears in my 01, what is the best method to compensate to keep the speedometer accurate?
I really don't want to install a chip, so what are my other choices. I have seen the "speed cal", is that my only choice? Can theses be programmed for tire changes in combination with the gears? Whats the good and the bad?

Thanks in advance, Brian

I have the box that recalibrates the speedo and it works fine. You should get a chip though and get it dyno tuned for more HP if not for the gears!! :-D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Re: speedo calibration for gears???

Originally posted by Big Daddy

I have the box that recalibrates the speedo and it works fine. You should get a chip though and get it dyno tuned for more HP if not for the gears!! :-D

LOL, up here we are lucky if we can find a place to change our oil, let alone a dyno tune.

Thanks for the info Kwik. I just ordered the speed cal from dallas mustang. :thumbsup:

Brian

SVT4POP

Established Member
I just had 4.10's installed (up from 3.73's) and I added the Dallas Mustang speed calibrator ... it's about $99 and well worth it on any gear change in order to keep the mileage as true as possible. The instructions that come with it should make for an easy install. In my '99 Cobra it easily fit underneath the shift lever boot assembly as that's apparently where the speedo cable is ... connected to the power source for the cigarette lighter receptacle.

Whole time of installation, including calibration of the dip switch settings was less than an hour. You definitely need something to recalc the mileage (and trip odometer) and I can recommend the Dallas Mustang units.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread