Spec clutch.

Silver 03 Cobra

I took my car to the dealer three weeks after I recieved it to report a bad throwout bearing. They recorded it and I've driven it two and half months since I reported it although it has gotten progressively worse. This Sunday I smelled my clutch and figured I burned it up. Several dudes came up and told me they could smell it at the track. I suspect that is has been slipping all the way down the track.

I called my dealer to set up to have them replace the throwout bearing and asked if they would install a new clutch while they had the trans out and they said no problem. Based on what I've read I ordered a Spec Stage II clutch rated for 475 rwhp. I lucked up on this by getting free installation. My dealer is pretty cool most of the time. One of the salesmen was at the track the night I was running. He asked me if I was running a pulley and I told him I had one. They've been referring people that buy 03's to me for mod help. Just hope I don't have to find out how cool they really are.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
What are you running at the track. I think I will go with a Spec 3 when I have to change mine.

Here is some more information on Spec clutches if you want.
Spec

Silver 03 Cobra

A friend of mine is having warranty work completed on his trans and the dealer called him and told him his clutch was smoked and asked him if he wanted to put in an aftermarket clutch. He knows a Hi-Po shop in Charlotte, NC and they told him the Stg III has a sharp engagement with virtually no slip. I'm thinking with the half shafts that the Stg II is the best way to go if you are running around 48- rwhp and do not race a lot. One dude recommended building a clutch with Stg III disks and a Stg II pressure plate. I hope I made the right decision.

Bingo13

Established Member
I went with the Stage2 disc and Stage3 pressure plate combination. The car is my daily driver. This setup has worked great in traffic conditions and those occasional test track runs. ;-)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread