Spark plugs

Bllit11

Established Member
Did ford have some problems with the spark plug gap on a hand built engine. WTF. What are the best plugs for a stock 5.8?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
The plugs in the early motors were not gaped correctly. This was rectified with motors built after June of 2012.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I thought that they were gapped correctly. It was just that it was incorrect in the owners manual...so they sent out a supplement.

mullens

Established Member
Yes ^^^^. If they were gapped incorrectly there'd be a recall or TSB.

To answer your question OEM spark plugs are high quality iridium. Fine for stock engine.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I thought that they were gapped correctly. It was just that it was incorrect in the owners manual...so they sent out a supplement.

Ford updated the original printing of the GT500 owners manual supplement and sent out a new revised supplement to all the affected owners.

2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement - 1st Printing
Spark plugs CGSF-12YP
.042-.045 inches (1.05 -1.15 mm)

2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement - 1st Printing - Rev 2
Revised version with the correct gap.
Spark plugs CGSF-12YP
0.033 - 0.037 inches (0.85 - 0.95 mm)

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Did ford have some problems with the spark plug gap on a hand built engine. WTF. What are the best plugs for a stock 5.8?

I did a lot of research on this forum/internet concerning spark plugs when I
got my 13-5 kit from Revan Racing. Summary: Most aftermarket vendors on here recommend the NGK Tr6 gapped at .30-.32 with most of their mod. kits etc.
I use them, they are a very good plug. Many other members on here re-gapped
their stockers at .30-.32 after mods. etc.
With or without mods the OEM plugs are a very good plug.
The NGK's are popular with the racers because they are cheaper than
the Motorcraft and the plugs are easy to change on our cars.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Once I added the intake/pulley/tune my guy regapped the stock ones to .030 but I then added the TR6 at the same gap. So far so good

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
The thing about the TR6's is they only last about 3k miles. I'm already on my 3rd set at 8600 miles.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Yea I have seen that. At least they are cheap. rule of thumb: change them with every oil change

I went through them like *&^% through a goose. I swapped to Motorcraft SP 471 and got better performance out of them.

I swap mine out every track day, so frequently.

bj

Fordfourlife

Established Member
What fails on the plugs?

I am curious about this as well. I was going to get the 13-6 kit which comes with TR6 plugs, not sure if I am ok with eating a set of plugs every 3000 miles though.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
I am curious about this as well. I was going to get the 13-6 kit which comes with TR6 plugs, not sure if I am ok with eating a set of plugs every 3000 miles though.

If bj says SP-471's are a good alternative I'd trust him. Lots of expertise there. If I was modding that's what I'd do. I'm not into changing plugs with every oil change.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
TR6's here with no issues. I change them frequently if racing but other than that never saw a bad plug on removal.

Van@RevanRacing

I recommend the TR6 gapped at .030

Change intervals. I have customers with 15,000 miles on the plugs and no issues.

Personally I change mine frequently due to track sessions etc. on a daily or weekend car changing plugs every 5,000 to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first is completely acceptable IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread