Spark Plug Torque setting difference between Ford / Whipple

moncho

Established Member
In the middle of a Whipple install & looking to see if anyone has input on the following for the spark plug torque:

Ford manual states 13 ft/lbs.

Whipple install manual states 25 ft/lbs.

Huge difference between the 2 but it may be due to the increased boost of the S/C? I'll probably reach out to Whipple to verify, just wanted additional input.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ray

EDIT: Whipple states it should be 14ft/lbs. They are making the change to their install manual. Still not exactly Ford's spec but very close.

Last edited:

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Cannot see why it would be that high. Boost is boost no matter where it comes from. Doubling the torque I would think you would run the risk of stripping the threads.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would contact Whipple before I torqued them that high.

This is from a Whipple manual for a Camaro.
Remove all the stock sparkplugs & replace with a NGK Iridium IX TR7IX. Gap the sparkplug at .035". Torque the sparkplug to 11 foot pounds as per GM manual. NOTE: Apply a small amount of anti-seize on the threads.

moncho

Established Member
I got all the info I needed from your responses.

I'll still be contacting Whipple, however the project needs to keep moving on.

Thanks much for the support!

Cheers,
Ray

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I probably change my plugs more often than most. I've used the Ford spec every time. Based on the effort required to remove them in some instances, and the fact that the heads are aluminum, no way would I torque them to 25 ft lbs.

For those that want to be safe, get yourself an inch/lb torque wrench. It's much more precise than a foot/lb wrench at lower ft/lb torque levels. I set mine to 156 inch/lbs (12 in/lbs = 1 ft/lb). JMO.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The spark plug is not going to know or care what blower is bolted up top. Stick with factory specs on this one.

moncho

Established Member
I went ahead and did the Ford spec @ 13 ft/lbs, although next time I’ll follow ZOMBEAST recommendation.

Moving along....

Thanks much & Cheers!

moncho

Established Member
Been using an in/lb torque wrench thru out the install. Excellent advice on using it for under 18 ft/lbs spec.

Always appreciate your input Catmonkey!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread