Spark plug tips getting bent closed, need help

Slow46

Established Member
Alright for the past couple months, my bank 2 cylinder head spark plugs ( random cylinder ) has been getting the spark plug tip bent closed as it would be getting hit from the piston .. I was running some ngk plugs ,but happened to a motorcraft plug.
Happens when I run it hard ,usually around 6,000 rpm..
I checked down the hole and don't see any contact on the pistons ..
They just look black like they have carbon on them.
Trying to figure out what it can be.. it's not throwing codes..
It runs perfectly fine, no internal noise, only runs very badly when this problem occurs ,
I'm going to do a compression test when I get home on the bank 2 head.
I was thinking timing jumped or stretched rod or wrist pin, but I know that would create alot more problems and would notice there was something very wrong.
Any info is appreciated before I decide to pull the motor
Thanks

Slow46

Established Member
Well if it was denoation would it burn a hole through the piston , or melt the tip of the spark plug?
Never really heard of denoation causing the plug to bent , figured it would cause more damage.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
yes, detonation can close the gap on a plug, like I said on M1R post pics of the plugs if possible, pull the driver side and post those as well

what changes, if any, were made even remotely close to when this all started?

exactly what plugs has this happened with?

Slow46

Established Member
Well what would be causing denoation ?
It happened with the ngk tr55 plugs , just replaced them with motorcraft.. I did notice the ngk being a tad longer than the motorcraft. But really unsure if that's the issue at this time. I'll try to post a pic on m1r because it won't let me here.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the plug was too long it would hit it every time the piston comes up to TDC regardless of rpm and it would happen in all cylinders.

detonation youre either lean due to not enough fuel being commanded (tune)/delivered (mechanical), unmetered air making its way, too much timing or bad fuel

Last edited:

Slow46

Established Member
I would figure it would throw a lean code like previously after my long tube install.
I put 93 octane everytime and add BG 44k fuel additive every 5,000 miles ( suppose to be good shit )
Maybe I should talk to blowbyracing.. about the tune

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
plug%201_zpsjpvc0j9g.png

plug%202_zps4i2bouqo.jpg

the additive explains the orange-ish color then I guess.

I would definitely talk to them.

as for it not tripping a CEL, if the timing is just too aggressive its not lean and wont trip it. Also theres a lot to whats required to throw a CEL, if its just lean @ WOT (which you arent doing for long) its probably not gonna trip the light

Users who are viewing this thread