Spark plug thread repair

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
pretty sure you're supposed to use an aluminum insert in an aluminum head, I'd be kinda surprised if they actually offer a steel insert for a mod motor.

Time-cert is a quality product. I believe my builder used Lock-n-stitch

fldime

Established Member
pretty sure you're supposed to use an aluminum insert in an aluminum head, I'd be kinda surprised if they actually offer a steel insert for a mod motor.

Time-cert is a quality product. I believe my builder used Lock-n-stitch
Time sert said they only recommend the aluminum insert if you are running fuel. I thought the same. Talked to time sert and a supplier of their product. Said they use only the steel ones without any problems. I asked about hot spots with the steel, again no problem. I have the kit coming, but I can order the aluminum inserts separately. Hoping someone here has used the steel

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the Time-serts I used were steel. This was in an old engine though. They were in there for a few thousand miles before the engine died for other reasons.

FIREBALL

Established Member
I cant guarantee it but the steel inserts should be good--the spark plugs are steel!! Most of the reason the plugs pop out is not because of few threads but because the original factory torque specs of 14lb was not enough and is why they would back out to last couple threads and then blow out. My f150 blew 2 plugs out and now they are torqued to 28lb (with a dab of anti sieze) and my Mustang as well----no more blown out plugs. here is the kit I used Mountain 9200 Ford Spark Plug Insert Installer Set There will be shavings in the cylinder after you ream out and thread the hole, I reduced down my shop vac to a large vacuum hose to suck out the shavings, I kept plunging the hose until I could not hear any more shaving coming out. Trying to blow out the shavings with a compressor will not get them all out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread