Spark Plug Is Too Far Down In Head - Can't Get Socket On It

vipergts281

Established Member
First time I've ever heard of this happening.

It has a Heli-Coil Save-A-Thread on it, which is why I'm trying to remove it so I can install a Time-Sert. But it's too far down into the head to get the socket on it to remove.

I'm assuming I somehow managed to smack the Heli-Coil insert down into the head....or somehow twisted it in too far. Either way, I can't get it out.

Tried long needle nose pliers, but no luck.

Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Seems my only option is to break the porcelain and then extract the rest out.

Before doing that, I'm going to try and find tubing that is sturdy and will fit tightly over the porcelain and then try to twist it out that way.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
That still won't allow me get on the hex part.

Didn't try it yet, but I realized a 11mm socket fits almost perfectly over the porcelain.

I'm going to jam some paper in there to make it very tight and try to turn it out that way.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Any luck?

I to would have tried to grind old socket to a point and see if it grabs..

Have you looked inside to see if an old rubber from plug socket isnt in the way

or even plug hitting inside socket extension not allowing it to go all the way down....

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
As a last ditch effort you could probably turn the engine over by hand to push the plug/insert back up. If I'm understanding you correctly you think the whole insert and plug have pushed in way to far, correct?

big dad

Established Member
I would try a stud removal socket of the proper size on the tip of the spark plug.

vipergts281

Established Member
I got it out!

I tried several things and my last ditch effort worked. I suppose worst case I could have broken the porcelain and used an extractor to get the metal out. But I was trying to avoid that.

It was down too far in the head, as I suspected. The entire Heli-coil insert and spark plug.

Luckily the insert came out with the plug.

How I got it out: I used a 7/8" hole saw and grinded away some of the head around the hex part of the plug which then allowed me to get the socket on it.

It worked perfectly.

Part of the head has to be removed (using a counterbore) when doing the time-sert so it's not an issue that I removed some already.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Thanks.

Did 2 time-serts on the passenger side and then replaced all 8 coil on plugs.

Started it up just to make sure everything is fine, didn't let it run long (literally like 10 seconds) because I'm still waiting on the loctite to cure. Seemed to idle a hair rough. But then again, it didn't run long enough for the rpms to even drop to idle after the initial start up.

I'll find out tomorrow how it's running.

Users who are viewing this thread