Spark plug gap on 03 Termi with 2.8l blower?

NickSpeed

Bought an 03 Cobra with a Whipple SC (2.3L) and the plugs were all over the place, factory calls for .52, but my guess is that they need to be around 0.32?
Any help would be appreciated,?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 96

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Mine are gapped at .028 on my KB 2.8. I *think* I have TR-7s or whatever the plug is that is one step colder than the TR6.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Depends on your boost level. You want to run as much gap as possible without blow out. I run .028" at 20psi.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Better burn. Larger flame kernel means easier to light the mixture. That's what I leaned when I first started playing with boost and I haven't had an issue with that thinking yet.
If only it were the 1970's and you had an N/A car maybe.

I would ask you try to see what different gaps do on a real dyno and get back to me with the results. You might be surprised.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I would ask you try to see what different gaps do on a real dyno and get back to me with the results. You might be surprised.
I might if I had the time and money. I'm sure the dyno will show no difference otherwise you wouldn't have said that. But WOT is only one piece of the puzzle. Part throttle and idle is affected as well.

And if gap wasn't such a deal why would guys be happy they could open the plug gap when going to hotter coils? And I'm not talking about our set ups. I'm talking about guys going to smart coils with stand alone ECU's.

As I said, I haven't had an issue with my train of thought yet. I realize I don't have the years or experience you do, but what I have worked on so far has been working fine.

03' White Snake

Established Member

What gap do you recommend? Like above, I’ve always heard higher boost required tighter plug gaps.

I’ve been running 0.028” on TR6’s, I just got some TR7’s and was thinking of starting at 0.026” because I keep having issues on my 26 psi setup. Hoping the new plugs will help.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
What gap do you recommend? Like above, I’ve always heard higher boost required tighter plug gaps.

I’ve been running 0.028” on TR6’s, I just got some TR7’s and was thinking of starting at 0.026” because I keep having issues on my 26 psi setup. Hoping the new plugs will help.
For 26 psi, you need to be around .018-.020

I might if I had the time and money. I'm sure the dyno will show no difference otherwise you wouldn't have said that. But WOT is only one piece of the puzzle. Part throttle and idle is affected as well.

And if gap wasn't such a deal why would guys be happy they could open the plug gap when going to hotter coils? And I'm not talking about our set ups. I'm talking about guys going to smart coils with stand alone ECU's.

As I said, I haven't had an issue with my train of thought yet. I realize I don't have the years or experience you do, but what I have worked on so far has been working fine.
The dyno will show nothing. The only possible issue might be cold start. But that's usually determined by plug range being cooler, not plug gap. Part throttle won't be affected.

"Hotter Coils" are not better than the factory ones so that's a moot point. I fully understand the "Old School" theories behind what you are saying, but in the real world of these boosted cars, it's not so.

Also wanted to add, there is no such thing as "Spark Blowout". Spark blowout would mean that the initial flame front was started and "Blown Out" It either created the flame kernel or didn't. That term is thrown around way too much.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread