Spark plug change questions

Homer Jay

Established Member
Ok guys, time for me to change to the NGK TR7IX spark plugs. I looked through the how-tos and search isn't working too well.

What is the opinion on putting anti seize on the plug threads? Use it? Skip it? Copper anti seize? Aluminum anti seize?

Thanks.

little-dw

Established Member
Ok guys, time for me to change to the NGK TR7IX spark plugs. I looked through the how-tos and search isn't working too well.

What is the opinion on putting anti seize on the plug threads? Use it? Skip it? Copper anti seize? Aluminum anti seize?

Thanks.

When I ordered mine from Van, I remember him saying not to use anything. That they come with some kind of coating already on them. 'iranium' or something IIRC

Robot_trainer

Established Member

Thanks.

If they are black oxide, yes use anti seize (small amount). If they have some sort of plating then no. The plating serves as the anti seize. At any rate dont leave them in there for 100k miles.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Spark plugs never has any coating or anti seize on the threads from the manufacturer. If they are OE plugs I always pull them out and put a thin coating of anti seize. This ensures that u can remove them down the road and not take the threads out with them especially with today's use of aluminum threaded components fastened with steel fasteners.

Been doing this for years never have an issue.

Tony

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Spark plugs never has any coating or anti seize on the threads from the manufacturer. If they are OE plugs I always pull them out and put a thin coating of anti seize. This ensures that u can remove them down the road and not take the threads out with them especially with today's use of aluminum threaded components fastened with steel fasteners.

Been doing this for years never have an issue.

Tony

^ +1

Grabber07'

Established Member
Directly from NGKs website..

"1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage."

Cman01

hello
Established Member
That's interesting reading but no matter what I will still continue to use AS on my plug threads.

Notice what it says there........................people using anti seize end up over tightening plugs....................HUH????

Since when does using AS cause you to over tightening plugs or any other fastener for that matter?

Common sense people....................plugs with no washer hand tighten and go about 1/8 of a turn. Plugs with washer (new plug) hand tighten and go half turn. Reusing plugs with washer hand tighten and a little more than 1/8 turn.

Again been doing plugs for years no problems whatsoever.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread