spark plug change on s-197 3v

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
i have been reading that changing the spark plugs on the 3v motors is difficult due to carbon build up on the ground shield. this even causes plugs to break off in the heads.

Has anyone had any experiences changing the plugs, and if so did you have any issues?

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
yea they did change, and they break off

what did you do to get the broken piece out of the head? I read if you follow the TSB (penetrating oil) that they shouldnt seize.

i just bought an 05 GT with 32k miles on it. I am thinking I should replace the plugs and get the anti-seize on the ground shield.

01_BLK_COBRA

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
i read going to the champion 7989 plug resolves this issue since it is a single piece design. The TSB says to crack the plugs an 1/8th a turn and use carb cleaner to soak for a bit, then do 1/4 turns till each plug is out. i might do it this weekend to get the single piece plug in there.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
what did you do to get the broken piece out of the head? I read if you follow the TSB (penetrating oil) that they shouldnt seize.

i just bought an 05 GT with 32k miles on it. I am thinking I should replace the plugs and get the anti-seize on the ground shield.

05 and 06 GT's have different heads and has the bad plugs. In 07 Ford changed the head design so they wouldn't break off.

Yes change the plugs and go with a one peice design. You can call Doug @ BamaChips. He has some one peice plugs he sells. He runs them in his car.

xtreme02gt

1 Slow GT!
Established Member
I have never had any problems changing my plugs out. I have changed them 3 times now. The factory one's were in there VERY tight, but no broken plugs...

Users who are viewing this thread