spark blowout?

04cobrawhine

Established Member
so im having an issue with my turbo cobra. at WOT at full boost, it feels like randomly the engine misfire. not like a little jurk but a clear "shut down" if you will. it started happening now that the weather has got cooler. im running 18#. is that enough to cause the spark to blow out? im running stock ford coils. i doubt its in the tune, cuz like i said before it wasnt happening when i got the car and it was much warmer outside. A/f look ok as far as the gauge reads. i have no way to datalog so i dont have a whole lot of info. any suggestions?

also the heads flow over 330 cfm. thats why im wondering if that combined with 18# and cool air may be blowing the spark out randomly.

thanks!

3 eyed snake

Established Member
I think there is a section on what plugs to be running here somewhere and the gap they need to be. You may just need to check your gap.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
you need to datalog- period. and yes check your gap. but colder air should not effect your spark unless in your tune- the spark tables are pulling spark based on ECT. datalog

Fast?notyet

Established Member
my turbo car did this and it was just the spark plugs get new ones and gap them correctly and see what that gets you. mine started when it was getting around thanksgiving. i think i gapped mine at .034 but search for a chartas I was only running 8or 9 psi:shrug:

Last edited:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I had to go down to a 22 thousandths, but thats on a high comp. blown mach1

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
What plugs are you running???

Yes... 18 lbs is enough for spark blow out. I was getting it with my KB Cobra at 18 lbs. At the time it had TR6. Once I realized Murillo put those in there I knew whatthe problem was.

Went down to the local Advanced and bought some BR7EFs and gapped them at .30 and it pulled all the way top 6000 rpms without an issue.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
What plugs are you running???

Yes... 18 lbs is enough for spark blow out. I was getting it with my KB Cobra at 18 lbs. At the time it had TR6. Once I realized Murillo put those in there I knew whatthe problem was.

Went down to the local Advanced and bought some BR7EFs and gapped them at .30 and it pulled all the way top 6000 rpms without an issue.

running the tr6. havent pulled them to check gap yet. had my car broke into and a bunch of stuff stolen so i gotta get that sorted out first.

Users who are viewing this thread