Spare tire..whoops?

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Silly me. The one thing I did not check after I picked up my new Shelby. These cars are supposed to come with a spare wheel, correct????????????????????:??:

IMG_20681.jpg

nickf2005

Established Member
What he said. No spare, no jack, no tire iron. Just the pump with some "Fix-a-Flat".

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Serves me right for not buying a ford in the past 17 years:loser:. Whatever happened to the days when we could get a full sized tire/wheel as a spare? Even my 95 cobra had a spare (or skinny). Oh well. Thanks for the pill to chill my worries. I was going to call the dealership asking for a spare tire laying around:thumbsup:. I guess I will actually be using AAA if I get a flat now..lol (which I preferred to do myself because those guys don't care about scratching your car).

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
I wasn't terribly surprised that the GT500's didn't come with a spare. The whole weight thing...

However, I was very surprised to learn that my co-worker's V6 did not come with one as well. He didn't even know it until I asked to borrow his tire iron and he went looking for it. He found what your picture is showing.

Planeswalker

Established Member
Serves me right for not buying a ford in the past 17 years:loser:. Whatever happened to the days when we could get a full sized tire/wheel as a spare? Even my 95 cobra had a spare (or skinny). Oh well. Thanks for the pill to chill my worries. I was going to call the dealership asking for a spare tire laying around:thumbsup:. I guess I will actually be using AAA if I get a flat now..lol (which I preferred to do myself because those guys don't care about scratching your car).

None of the cars that come with anything over 18" has a spare, such as; Shelby, Boss, GT Brembo. It has to do with anything bigger not fitting in the back, and an 18" paired with something bigger being able to do damage. The price we pay for bigger brakes and wheels.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
Hmmmm..all that extra space. A meth kit(snow performance) would fit back there nicely. Then again if the wheel well (without a wheel) was wider and flatter both a battery and a meth kit would fit back there. Seems like a lot of space wasted....:shrug:

My post proves I am a newb to the new mustangs..been in the SN95 shell way too long:)

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Does anyone know if a 28" dia tire will fit in the spare tire well. I would like to have a spare on board.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I will likely assemble a kit to include space saver spare, lug wrench and jack at a later time. The issue will be finding a rim which will clear the front brake rotor. I suppose a good place to check is other cars which Ford/Lincoln currently builds, find the part numbers, and order them.....

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
They have been common for quite awhile, and the norm for the Shelby since '07. Here's the "earlier" version which was made by Continental (put my kit together since I have Brembo calipers):

P1020726.jpg

Plenty of info on TireRack's site:

Continental ContiComfortKit

Or on the rest of the internet:

Continental Tyres present the ContiComfortKit - the quick and easy way to repair damaged tyres

http://www.conti-online.com/generat...mes/extended_mobility/conticomfortkit_en.html

Also used to be sold through FRPP as M-19543-C:

M-19543-C-1.gif

Parts diagram from Ford (again, the "earlier" kit):

M-19543-CParts.jpg

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
There will also be a little funnel behind the compressor so you can put gas to the tank if you ever run out.

finsrin

Established Member
Gunna get that CCC. Thanks for the tip.
Good thing is. Have trunk space I did not even think of for longish trips with wife who like to pack it all. Completely got by me.......

91svtbird

Established Member
Does anyone know if a 28" dia tire will fit in the spare tire well. I would like to have a spare on board.

Haven't tried a 20" wheel and 28"tire from a 13' yet but I used to carry a stock (18") rear wheel and tire assembly in my 07' when I would go on any long trips. It was a tight fit and protruded up a couple of inches above the floor height but it did fit and gave me peace of mind. I kind of doubt a 28" wide tire would fit in the well though.

san6279

Established Member
Well, this is a timely post. Was going to put on my winter wheels/tires this weekend (don't trust dealer not to scratch) and had assumed there was at least a tire iron and jack in the car. Back to the dwg board.

nickf2005

Established Member
Well, this is a timely post. Was going to put on my winter wheels/tires this weekend (don't trust dealer not to scratch) and had assumed there was at least a tire iron and jack in the car. Back to the dwg board.

I think it's a 15/16" socket. Get a deep well (3/8" Drive), an extension (3"-6"), and a breaker bar (12"+). I did not and ended up scratching the wheel myself and still didn't break them loose. Not saying they weren't over tightened by the dealer.

san6279

Established Member
I think it's a 15/16" socket. Get a deep well (3/8" Drive), an extension (3"-6"), and a breaker bar (12"+). I did not and ended up scratching the wheel myself and still didn't break them loose. Not saying they weren't over tightened by the dealer.

Thanks!

Hmm, I thought it was a 13/16" socket. So far I've got the torque wrench delivered (1/2" drive), protective sockets (not deep well. ?) are in the mail (with plastic covers), and I've ordered the jacking insert from Van. Still need to get a jack (Costco), a breaker bar, and some wheel blocks.

You also mention the extension. Is that something you recommend also to avoid scratches? If so, how does that help?

NWUCIT

Established Member

Fully inflated, 26.9" is about the maximum diameter that will fit in the well (and it is a TIGHT fit-but workable). A 28" dia might squeeze in there if the tire is deflated...not sure.

BTW, since the SVTPP rears are 27.85" stock, we get into how far can one drive with one shorter tire on rear w/o gear damage...don't know this answer either :shrug:

nickf2005

Established Member
It may be 13/16". I was trying to recall...

Sounds like you're set up to go. I only suggested an extension just to get your tools that much further away from the wheel. I was trying to do the job with a 3/8" drive rachet and using the "hook a wrench on the end of the handle" trick to get more leverage. My tools were close to the tire, I slipped, and I scratched it. Bad words flew. I don't see a problem with what you have on order.

Users who are viewing this thread