Sparco/Momo Steering Wheel in 90-93 Airbag Mustang

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I haven’t completed my project yet but I can give you a run down of what its’ cost me so far. But it will depend on what type of accessories you want to go with too, ie steering wheel, hub and locks if desired. I didn’t go the cheap route for mine but I’m using donor aftermarket parts pulled from my SS Camaro too.

I’m still waiting for Bob to get back to me on wither or not an earlier model gauge bezel is needed along with the column swap?

Parts needed:

87-89 steering column: ebay $50-150 depending on how complete the column is. You can buy these ready to install with keys or bare meaning they’re missing the plastic column covers, turn signals tilt lever or keys. Purchasing all of the miscellanies parts could be expensive too. I bought a complete column from eBay yesterday for about $130 plus shipping.

MOMO Steering wheel: I think I paid $200 for mine. Like Bob’s, it has a flat bottom for extra leg room.

MOMO hub adapter: You’re going to pay around $65-$75 for one of these. I’ll post the part number once it’s arrived. The first one I order claimed to work with all 87-93 mustang but didn’t fit the shaft of my ’93 column.

So the sawp could cost you about $250-$500 give or take, maybe less if you’re patent and bargain shop…and don’t forget you might have to purchase an 87-89 gauge panel for everything to line up correctly.

I’m adding a few extra things to my project which will up the price quite a bit but I’ll post those once I’m done.

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
NRG also makes a tilt column that will work with our ’93 factor but you’ll still end up with the issues stated above; clockspring, horn and ugly gap between hub and where the clockspring used to be.

CLICK HERE

Last edited:

robertlyons

Established Member
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Thanks for posting my picture up.

As for the swap, all you really need is a 87-89 tilt column, the three pieces of trim (upper column, lower column, ring around the tilt lever), the proper 87-89 steering wheel hub (I used Momo) and the steering wheel (in my case, a Sparco Ring).

I was dreading the swap. I've had much easier swaps turn into multi-week projects as I found more and more things needed to be changed (ever try to make 93 R spindles and 94 Mustang control arms work SAFELY, it gets somewhat involved). When I finished this one in an hour or two, I literally stood back and said "WTF, this was EASY!"

Now, one disclaimer. I have an Eagle Industries SS7000 4-post lift in my garage which makes getting under the car real easy.

All I did was follow the shop manual to remove the old column. I then swapped my ignition cylinder to the new column along with the multifunction switch (the ignition switch was on the tilt column). Then I reinstalled the tilt column. At the same time, I installed a Flaming River Steering Linkage. Bolted the whole thing together (making sure the front wheels are pointing straight and the column shaft is centered). Installed the hub and wheel according to the instructions. Then screwed on the column trim. Yes, it was that easy. The only thing I would explicitly warn you about is to make sure the column is pointing exactly the way you want it before you tighten the bolts under the dash. WHile it's no biggie, the next time I take the underdash stuff off, I'm going to loosen the bolts and pull the column a little closer to the center of the car. It's slotted, so you have some play to get it exactly where you want.

Everything else is as it was on my Cobra. Since this photo was taken, I moved my lap timer off the halo bar and to a bracket off the instrument bezel. I kept the original bezel, and modified one from a 1991. But, to answer your question, everything works with the 93 instruments and trim, except as pointed out above.

Oops, one last thing I remembered. The column trim is a different shade of black. The 93 is a more pure black, the 87-89 has a hint of gray/silver in it. It's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it, but to make the swap perfect, get some 93 interior black from Late Model Resto.

Bob Lyons
Freedom means nothing until you are free of factory steering wheel placement.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Hey Bob, thanks for the quick write-up. I think I’m going to try and tackle the swap next weekend so this will be very helpful, thanks!!

....I could just kick myself for not taking advantage of buying lift when my wife gave me permission last year. :bash:

Last edited:

racerbox77

Established Member
Hey Bob, thanks for the quick write-up. I think I’m going to try and tackle the swap next weekend so this well be very helpful, thanks!!

....I could just kick myself for not taking advantage of buying lift when my wife gave me permission last year. :bash:

Got any finished product pics?

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Yeah, it's still on my "to do list". Between extra work that;s come up and two kids in double sports my week and weekends have been pretty booked up. I have everything i need i just need to find some time to R and R the column.

Hopefully i can find some time in the next few weeks...I'll leep you guys posted.

thx

Last edited:

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
By the way i've made the swap and it couldnt have been any easier...thanks again Bob for the info.

fivestangs

Established Member
I'm curious about a possible negative consequence of this swap..if you were to get into an accident and you were injured, could your insurance company not cover your medical bills since you removed a safety device from the car?

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I was told by my insurance company (Farmers) that they would still be obligated to cover me in the event of an accident and swaping the column and/or deleting the airbag will NOT change that.

My car will have to have some special underwriting regarding the removal but this will also insure that my car will have the tilt column replaced if an accident were to happen. While ditching the airbag is not recommended there are several vehicles on the road today with out this feature and I for one am comfortable with the idea. If you’re at all squeamish about removing the airbag then DONT DO IT.

fivestangs

Established Member
I was told by my insurance company (Farmers) that they would still be obligated to cover me in the event of an accident and swaping the column and/or deleting the airbag will NOT change that.

My car will have to have some special underwriting regarding the removal but this will also insure that my car will have the tilt column replaced if an accident were to happen. While ditching the airbag is not recommended there are several vehicles on the road today with out this feature and I for one am comfortable with the idea. If you’re at all squeamish about removing the airbag then DONT DO IT.

Believe me, I don't have a problem with it, I was just wondering if the insurance company lawyers would have a problem with it! LOL :shrug:

I mean these days, they'll use ANY excuse to NOT cover you.....believe me, I know.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I was just saying that as a disclaimer and I agree even though my insurance told one thing who knows what will happen when I really put them to the test if an incident were to ever accure (knock on wood).

Overall I'm very happy with the swap and would do it again if needed. The only thing that will take some getting used to will be the steering wheel being a little closer then the factory unit plus I installed my corbeau seats at the same time which sit a little higher so the orientation of everything is a little weird and will take some time to get used to. I just ordered a Tri-Ax shift handle to bring the gears a little closer to me so that should help a little bit, we’ll see.

Last edited:

drudis

Established Member
Anyone know why a 1989 tilt-column steering wheel would have play in the TILT-MECHANISM itself? Anything that I can tighten...? (Dont have PDF of that section)

My steering SHAFT feels loose, in that the steering wheel SHAFT (inside the column?) moves up/down & left right... You can move the steering wheel and plastic trim on column around in a cone-shaped articulation, in that the steering wheel is the moving point, and the end of the shaft is stationary point.
It is NOT the mounting bolts (part #39), they are confirmed tight. Checked twice.
It is NOT the steering wheel bolt (part #2), that has been replaced with quick-release. Thats not it.

IMOHO, its something in the TILT-MECHANISM... (Not bearing between 33/34 nor 28/29). Can you guys shed some light? :confused:

attachment.php

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Drudis,

My column was actually loose as you described but didnt notice it until after installation. All I had to do was tighten one screw and it fixed it right up. I don’t remember exactly which bolt it was but once you pull your plastic panels off just gently wiggle your wheel around until you can locate the source. Take a look at the columns pictured, locate the ignition key on either column and follow it down until you see where the base of the head until ends (lower section) and attaches to the actual steering column (smaller shaft running parallel with steering shaft). I had a bolt that was really loose here and after tightening it up fix all my problems. You might have one or two bolts/screws to tighten but I’m pretty sure you’re having the same issue unless something is broke. Good luck.

IMG00038-20100405-1119.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread