Source for brake cooling duct parts

Gatorac

Established Member
I need the spindle mount for some brake cooling ducts. I have some duct material already and the scoops are built in from the factory.

Anyone know of a good source?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Gatorac
I need the spindle mount for some brake cooling ducts. I have some duct material already and the scoops are built in from the factory.

Anyone know of a good source?

Sean Hyland is the only source that I am aware of now (Carbon fiber $$$). There was another outfit (the name escapes me now) offering aluminum pieces, but I believe they have gone out of business.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Or you could put in some coilovers :)

And I do think there's a market for them. I'd buy a set if it ran to the center of the rotor.

TOC

Established Member
Used to be a place called Mirage Motorsports that sold some aluminum brake ducts/kit. They do fit the Cobra perfectly. I installed an unused set that I had sitting around the garage.

The opening next to the fog light on the 03's is a perfect fit for 3” flex hose. The cooling nozzle that mounted on the steering spindle wasn't exactly centered on the rotor eye; as it extended up on to the rotor surface somewhat. However, it was a big improvement over stock, when open tracking the car.

Unfortunately I tried to log on the web site and it's no longer valid. Might try a search to see if someone is selling them on-line.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by TOC
Used to be a place called Mirage Motorsports that sold some aluminum brake ducts/kit.

Thats the company I was trying to remember. I also heard they went out of business. :(

03blackvert

Established Member
I just e-mailed Sean Hyland to see if their carbon fiber bits would fit an '03, and that they have a few guys running them on '03's already. So, a bit spendy, but if you're a road racer a lot cheaper than having the brakes go out and running into a wall. :)

j card

Established Member
I just looked at the Sean Hyland set up. Definitely pricey, but looks like the best way to do it that I have seen. Good parts that will withstand the temp and molded to fit. Looks great. Sure it's a lot, but it would be difficult to make something that is as good as this for less money - especially if you factor your time into it.

John

Gatorac

Established Member
I think I have run out of time as we are racing next weekend at Sebring. I have to get her car done this weekend so it looks like it's time to fab some up myself. I made some for my FOX so I will probably follow the same design.

Last edited:

03blackvert

Established Member
If you're serious about the road course, consider the Sean Hyland deal. Most road courses are very hard on brakes relative to anything an "average" mustang will see. I'm going only on looks, but their system will get the air to where it needs to be, and with carbon fiber there's no chance of cooking it. 1200 degree + rotor temps are not impossible on the road course. If you've upgraded pads and/or rotors for more stop with this heavy car something like what they have is needed.

Of course, I'm one of those crazy people who will take a vert (heavier already) plus the safety gear (roll bar et all) out on the road course, so this is near and dear to me. Not sure yet what I will do with my '03 vert, but the sean hyland break cooling kit is on my list.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I have the SHM kit. It's super easy to install, fits relatively well. The wheel rubs on the hose at full lock when I get out of the drive in the AM, that's about it. I used Zip Ties instead of hose clamps for fixation of the ducting and it works great. They supply too much hose, just cut to fit. The CF parts are tops. Just expect to remove everything down to the bare spindle plus the hub when doing the install, to do it proper.

No problems, I've had them installed for 5000 miles now. Let me know if you have any further questions...

Users who are viewing this thread