Sound dampening the doors??

JR_Cobra

Established Member
First of all, I'm embarrassed to even ask this question! Most of you guys could work on your cars in your sleep. The most I've done is install the hood lifters and the MGW handle!

I am getting ready to have a new sound system installed in the Cobra. As part of the install, I want to dampen the doors and the trunk. I would like to do this work myself, but I know nothing about this stuff. Is there a resource that shows how to remove the panels from the doors and trunk.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jeff

ALA G8R

Banned
If you buy anything car audio related from www.crutchfields.com, they will send you instructions on removing head units, door panels, etc.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
FYI, I got the entire car kit of dynomat for my last car and lined the ENTIRE car with the stuff and honestly? I still had rattles and barely noticed a difference. To add that much weight and spend that much money and time for sound dampening isn't worth it IMO... but if you are going to go through wtih it all you have to do is pull the plastic tabs on the underside of the door panel with a appolstery tool from autozone or your finger nails and lift up and out on the plastic piece and it will come out, you will have to disconnect your door lock wire harness...

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Mine. I did the doors too, but the pics are on my computer at home.

I did my whole car. It took a long time. Maybe 10+ hours but it is definately worth it if your are a noise nazi like me. The deadener isn't there to stop the creeks and rattles. It's there to prevent the outside noise from getting in. The only down side to doing it other than the expense and time is the added weight.

dynamat_trunk1.jpg

small1.jpg

small2.jpg

JR_Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the comments and pictures! I'd love to see any pics from anyone who has done the doors.

And how do you remove the sides in the trunk?

Jeff

Redwing

Established Member
Bassin247 I like what you've done. how much difference did it make? I've done most of my trunk, and so far it hasn't made much difference. I've been using "brown Bread" which I got on the internet from B-Quiet.Com, a Vancouver based company (even though they charge in American dollars!). I have a borla Stinger exhaust, and the noise has rally bothered me. Admittedly, the sound is a bit muted, but not much. How much difference did you find from just the interior, and then the trunk, or did you do it all at once?

blnpny

Banned
the more the better.I've installed stereos for about 13 years now,and now i own my own company.

DSC01297.JPG

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by JR_Cobra
how do you remove the sides in the trunk?

There are a few threaded plastic pieces that need to be removed. It comes apart in minutes.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Redwing
Bassin247 I like what you've done. how much difference did it make? I've done most of my trunk, and so far it hasn't made much difference. I've been using "brown Bread" which I got on the internet from B-Quiet.Com, a Vancouver based company (even though they charge in American dollars!). I have a borla Stinger exhaust, and the noise has rally bothered me. Admittedly, the sound is a bit muted, but not much. How much difference did you find from just the interior, and then the trunk, or did you do it all at once?

I used brown bread too. I used roughly 120 sq ft. I did the whole interior on a saturday, I did the trunk the next saturday, and I did the doors a few months after that.

When I did the floor pan I noticed a big difference. After I did the trunk I was amazed at how well the stuff worked. I will admit I put a lot of deadener down. I put down 2 layers on the floorboard and trunk.

gatzer

Established Member
I have had great success with Dynamat Extreme. Do the trunk lid also then carpet over it. It makes a big difference. My trunk lid dosen't bow or rattle anymore.

Stereo.jpg
[/IMG]

Redwing

Established Member
Admittedly, I do have a vert, so i don't know how much it will really help. I can only get so far in to cover the wheel wells, but maybe when I take the back seat out I can reach in better.
How did you decide to do two layers? did you try one and then decide, or just do it all at once? How much difference di the doors make?
So far I've spent about 3 1/2 hours on the trunk, and maybe another 1 & 1/12 to go. Once I get the liners and such back in hopefully it'll help.
The stuff is great to work with. I will probably do the floorpan as well. And 50 pounds? So what? I personally have just lost 20 pounds, with 20 more to go, so my performance won't really suffer!

Users who are viewing this thread