Soon-To-Be Cobra owner in need of smog help...(sorry about "another smog thread")

jaehow23

Established Member
Soon-To-Be Cobra owner in need of help for INITIAL smog...

I am in the process of purchasing a Cobra from out of state and I know people that can only help with renewals...I will be needing help with the initial smog for the vehicle. it is modified and tuned and I honestly don't have the know-how right now to revert the vehicle back to stock to get it smogged. It has more than a few modifications...if it was just exhaust and a handheld tune, I wouldn't be too concerned with putting all of the stock parts back on for smog. with that said, I live in the Sacramento area, but will be in SoCal for FFF in the middle of April. if anyone has any advice or knows someone that can help me get smogged to register my vehicle, I would really appreciate it.

please send me a PM. thank you.

Last edited:

jaehow23

Established Member
I didn't know there would be a difference between initial smog and smog renewals. Still looking for and needing help.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
There is no difference between the first smog, and the smog renewals. The only thing you need to be concerned with is that your car has all the correct emissions equipment in the right places. Not all cars came from the factory with CA compliant smog equipment. Some cars from other states were manufactured to meet federal emissions, and not CA emissions standards. These cars can still be registered in CA, as long as they can pass a CA smog check which means a visual inspection, and probably a sniff test depending on the age of the vehicle.

There can be no trouble codes, so if it has a check engine light get it fixed. Also, your tune can't alter any of the system readiness monitors, i.e. can't disable 02 sensors for catless mid pipe, etc. Without knowing your mods, no one can really offer any advice.

jaehow23

Established Member
There is no difference between the first smog, and the smog renewals. The only thing you need to be concerned with is that your car has all the correct emissions equipment in the right places. Not all cars came from the factory with CA compliant smog equipment. Some cars from other states were manufactured to meet federal emissions, and not CA emissions standards. These cars can still be registered in CA, as long as they can pass a CA smog check which means a visual inspection, and probably a sniff test depending on the age of the vehicle.

There can be no trouble codes, so if it has a check engine light get it fixed. Also, your tune can't alter any of the system readiness monitors, i.e. can't disable 02 sensors for catless mid pipe, etc. Without knowing your mods, no one can really offer any advice.

This is pretty informative. Thank you, sir.

SVTPete83

Established Member
All your monitors need to be active. A lot of tunes turn them off. The visual is usually the tough one. All aftermarket parts need to have a carb# and sticker to go with them as well.

jaehow23

Established Member
are most centers trained to see a pulley change? mostly everything is stock as far as that goes. I was concerned about the tune but i've been informed that all monitors are active, so i will probably have to change back to the stock intake and catted mid-pipe.

RED03SVT

Established Member
I have a pulley and tune. Just threw on the stock midpipe and passed no problems. I used to just throw cats on my xpipe but places are getting strict so stock one for now. good luck

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
are most centers trained to see a pulley change? mostly everything is stock as far as that goes. I was concerned about the tune but i've been informed that all monitors are active, so i will probably have to change back to the stock intake and catted mid-pipe.
I know I'm late to the party, but to answer your question about smog techs: no they are not. If they find part numbers and are doing their jobs right, maybe (had issues with a 2.9 whi]let to pass smog) failed because of an aftermarket maf sensor, but not with the actual supercharger. I'd put a gamble out and say that if your car doesn't have a cel and no "obvious" non-carb compliance parts, you'll be fine. Look for a mod friendly station as well.

Users who are viewing this thread