Somewhat Dissapointed in my visit to discount tire yesterday (Grapevine, Tx)

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Ok So I am not making this is a bashing thread but I have been a pretty loyal customer of discount tire for a long time. If you want any personal infomation to verify pm me if you wish...

Let me first say prior to this I have only had one problem arise with discount. That is when I got my rear tires replaced a few years back (didnt mess up the previous time) and the young guy working on the car decided to use some sort of crowbar technique to get my tires off the wheel. Luckily I checked my rear wheels before leaving and they had all types of scuff and scratch marks, very rough if you ran your finger over them. So I told the manager, he didnt give me any hassle and said they would send them off to get machined down and smoothed. So no harm no foul there I suppose, It was somewhat of a pain becuase I had to borrow a friends extra gt wheels just to drive my car home, but I understand mistakes are made and they fixed it hastle free.

Any time since then has been great. However I went in yesterday to get some nitto envo (invo?) tires for the front. From the beginning it didnt seem like the typical discount tire visit. The guy I talked to at the front counter didnt seem up to the usual level of professionalism and told me I should get new rear tires soon.... I told him they still have a decent amount of miles left on them. Nitto Dr's with about 45% life left of course they look bald compared to a normal tire :shrug:

So I pay for the tires and everything sit around for a good while and then they call my name so I walk out. The tech guy told me to pull into bay two, one of the bays with the "lifts" on them for lack of better term. I said "Man my car is pretty low, I dont think it will fit up there" (coilovers in front dropped pretty agressive and lowered in the back) He was like "you should be alright". I told him my car has low exhaust becuase of longtubes and he was like ok.... pull into bay five. Which was one where they jack the car up themselves.

Then the worse part... I get back to work start looking at the new tires and seeing how different they look (went to a 245 and had 275 previously) and I notice on one rim has the same marks and scratches that my rear wheels had after the guy messed them up a few years back :fm: You would think I would know to check right after by now....

I just have fr500 wheels so I probably wont even bother with trying to get them fixed but if I had true forged or ccw or something i would be livid! I expect a tire service that has been doing this so long to have better rim care techiques.

I dont expect to be treated with special treatment but when someone comes in there ordering a specific tire and has a lowered sports car I dont need them telling me I should get rear tires or I "should" be ok pulling up on a lift that an average bmw seems to barely clear. I know they are just doing their job but I'm not some clueless person coming in there without doing any tire research saying I need tires....

I know sometimes yall are trying to get cars in and out in a hurry but maybe give better wheel care training or something... Just dont want someone with nice rims having this issue.

Tl: DR Version

Make sure and check your rims right after someone puts tires on them, and if you have moderate to high dollar wheels I recommend somwhere other than grapevine discount tire.

Last edited:

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Yeah that's gotta suck... I feel you.... that happened to me years ago with the L once....
>
I have always taken the rims off & threw 'em in the back of the L & talk with their supervisor or mgr showing them the condition of the rims BEFORE they roll'em into the shop area just to avoid what happened to you....
I even tell'em I'm willing to wait even longer so his tech can take his time with my rims....
It's a hassle to have my rides on jackstands with rims/tires off & on, but ZERO issues....
>
But their mail-order program is just simply great! Very competitive pricing & I get tires FASTER than the local shops....

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for sharing your experience with us here 03cobrarocks.

Our number one goal is our customers complete satisfaction and when we fall short we need to know about it. We are human and make mistakes from time to time just like everyone else but what separates us from other companies is how we handle/correct our mistakes. I recommend contacting the store manager directly and explain to him everything you mentioned in this post. He'll make the situation right.

If I can be of further assistance please shoot me a PM.

We appreciate your continued support and thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Users who are viewing this thread