Something weird---- opinions?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Lately when I try to open my drivers door fron the outside it takes some serious effort. I lift the handle and pull but the door doesn't move. If I give it a good tug it pulls open. It's not a pressure difference because it does it if the window is up or down and if the car is hot or cold. I also noticed that when my passenger door is closed it looks like it's not fully closed. Is it possable to twist the car and cause this??? I haven't wrecked it or anything stupid like that but can't come up with any other explanation except I've twisted my frame slightly. Opinions??

OBTW: I've recently relocated to Vandenberg and there lots of pretty trees. WARNING!!!! Don't park your car under Eucaliptis (sp?) trees. I left my car out the garage the other night and the fog/dew dripping onto my decklid ate throught the clearcoat in one night :mj: . Becareful where you guys park.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I know when you jack up under the front subframe it makes the door hard to open due to flex but I wouldnt think the car would be flexed to that degree (and stay that way) under normal circumstances.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
With the ammount of power these vehicles can produce with mods, it is a very good possiblity that you may have slightly twiisted your frame. My best guess is if you did a hard launch or jump at a light, or at the track. Sounds like the same problem that most unibody cars have once they begin to produce upwards of 450 tq. Good luck and keep us posted.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Whitten
With the ammount of power these vehicles can produce with mods, it is a very good possiblity that you may have slightly twiisted your frame. My best guess is if you did a hard launch or jump at a light, or at the track. Sounds like the same problem that most unibody cars have once they begin to produce upwards of 450 tq. Good luck and keep us posted.
well, guess its time for some full legth MM subs then :)

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
:??: I wonder if it's already too late for my car...
I wonder if you can take it to a good body shop, one with a rack, and see what they say, they have to have specs for the body/frame and maybe the can hook it up and straighten it out?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I'm about 3 hrs from my car right now otherwide I'd take pictures. With the passenger door slammed shut you can still slide 1-2 credit cards into the gap. When you walk by the door you'd swear it wasn't closed. I'm not complaining but I am kicking myself in the butt esp. since I had sf connectors on all my previous mustangs. I know Maximum Motorsports is close to Vandenberg, think they ,might be able to help? Or is this a body shop only job?

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I'm with Shadow...if you take the car to a body shop with a Blackhawk frame straightening system (or similar) they should be able to at least check the car's alignment on a jig. That will tell you for sure if it's out of spec. It's up to you what you want to do after that.

Of course, if you do find that it's out of spec they can pull it back in line for you and then weld in some subframe connectors to ensure that the entire assembly stays true from there on out.

I have seen this type of job farmed out by the dealership, if you elect to take it there for this type of problem.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Well, let us not forget another simpler possibility - maybe the door needs to be aligned against the striker - I would suggest checking the door gaps all along its 4 sides, and also for tell-tale indices of misalignment in the locking mechanism (weird scratches, blunted metal, etc. It may very well be a frame, but don't overlook the less draconian possibilites. Hope you get it sorted out.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Try jacking the car up it several different places (corners) and see if that corrects or reduces the problem.

Dana

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
if you take the car to a body shop with a Blackhawk frame straightening system (or similar) they should be able to at least check the car's alignment on a jig.

Will do thanks for the tip but it'll have to wait till next Monday since I don't care if the car is twisted into a pretzal I'm going to make the cruise :lol:

maybe the door needs to be aligned against the striker

I considered this but it seemed too much of a coincidence that the drivers door became difficult to open at the same time the passenger door started sticking out. Hopefully though this will turn out to be an easy fix.

Yes, it's definitely too late for your car.

Tetge, I'm sorry I'm not going to de-mod my car :lol:

Wild Bill

Established Member
Sorry about your car.Were you running slicks or drag radials?Thanks for posting it though.I will make sure to make sfcs one of my next mods.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
Sorry about your car.Were you running slicks or drag radials?Thanks for posting it though.

No worries you pay to play, and yes I usually ran on 315 Nitto 555R's or the 315 BFG D/R's. And on my very last trip down the track I thought the launch felt a little violent. Turned out that I split the top cap on both rear tires in half so I don't think that nessisarily helped my car.

Users who are viewing this thread