some one should make a ZR1 style splitter for an 03/04 cobra

pkwest

Established Member
My friend just bought a ZR! and I was looking at his splitter. It would be awesome if some one made a CF splitter similar to it for the cobra. It could attach to the bottom of the bumper without the lip installed.
photo1.gif

photo.gif

racebronco2

Established Member
Without the lip installed it will be too high (About 7"). I made one with either the stock lip or a mach 1 lip (about 5"). The carbon fiber will incinerate upon impact. Mine is made out of black abs plastic.

pkwest

Established Member
Carlos, Yours looks pretty good.

I have a carbon fiber chin spoiler for my FFR. You would be surprised how tough it is. Much stronger than Fiberglass. Once it came unattached on one side and was dragging at 120. I heard a tink tink sound sound so I pulled off the track. I reattached it and it only had some minor scuffs on it. If it had come completely off it probably would have taken out my oil pan.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Without the lip installed it will be too high (About 7"). I made one with either the stock lip or a mach 1 lip (about 5"). The carbon fiber will incinerate upon impact. Mine is made out of black abs plastic.

What if it was attached directly to the bumper without the stock lip?

Similar to this:

t_16479_02.jpg

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos, Yours looks pretty good.

I have a carbon fiber chin spoiler for my FFR. You would be surprised how tough it is. Much stronger than Fiberglass. Once it came unattached on one side and was dragging at 120. I heard a tink tink sound sound so I pulled off the track. I reattached it and it only had some minor scuffs on it. If it had come completely off it probably would have taken out my oil pan.

I have talked to several people about carbon fiber and pkwest is correct, it is really tough to break.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have two big hole in the splitter. The hole are located about 6" behind the radiator and 2 inches in front of the k-member. I have gardening edge from tire to tire in front of the two big hole to improve the low pressure/high pressure air coming out of the radiator.

How is the diffuser coming along?

AnaheimE

I'm a Wizard!
Established Member
I have two big hole in the splitter. The hole are located about 6" behind the radiator and 2 inches in front of the k-member. I have gardening edge from tire to tire in front of the two big hole to improve the low pressure/high pressure air coming out of the radiator.

How is the diffuser coming along?

I need to start construction. Who sells sheets of ABS plastic? I need one to curve as well.

racebronco2

Established Member
My experience with splitters

I installed my splitter with the stock lip spoiler. At speeds of 145mph i didn't have any issues.

I installed a mach 1 lip spoiler along with the splitter and the ends attachment points ripped out of 1/4 aluminum. I added flange nuts and the center ripped out. I installed 5 cables to hold the splitter along with the other attachment point and i can almost put all my weight in it.

I would guess the stock lip spoiler doesn't do much for downforce and the splitter is not very effective. The mach 1 and splitter creates alot of downforce. With the mach1 spoiler it could also aid in cooling since it does direct the airflow up into the h/e opening in the bumper cover.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The carbon fiber will incinerate upon impact.

So it'll just burst into flames?? :burn:

Haha, tons of people use carbon fiber for a splitter. That stuff is damn durable if built correctly.

I think the OP is saying that someone should make a splitter that replaces the lower lip, but sticks out forward some like the ZR1 splitter to create a little downforce. Instead of using the plastic push connectors, have it bolt to the bottom of the bumper. I had about 10 small 1/4" bolts with nylock nuts and washers on both sides on the back holding my 03 cobra lip to the bumper. That thing was NOT coming off. The same could be done with a CF lip easily.

racebronco2

Established Member

Haha, tons of people use carbon fiber for a splitter. That stuff is damn durable if built correctly.

I think the OP is saying that someone should make a splitter that replaces the lower lip, but sticks out forward some like the ZR1 splitter to create a little downforce. Instead of using the plastic push connectors, have it bolt to the bottom of the bumper. I had about 10 small 1/4" bolts with nylock nuts and washers on both sides on the back holding my 03 cobra lip to the bumper. That thing was NOT coming off. The same could be done with a CF lip easily.

But our cars are already 5 years old so i doubt that will happen.

pkwest

Established Member

Exactly. The zr1 splitter only hangs a few inches below the bumper so a simular one attached directly to the bumper (removing the lip) would add some downforce with better ground clearance than the steeda one for example when used on the street. Not dragging on the ground all the time would make it last better.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

APR Performance will custom make a splitter if you provide an outline/dimensions of your bumper.

I think it would work pretty well for an 03 car.

front_wind_splitter.jpg

P1010001.JPG

I'm guessing the stock lip would have to come off though.

racebronco2

Established Member
APR Performance will custom make a splitter if you provide an outline/dimensions of your bumper.

I think it would work pretty well for an 03 car.

front_wind_splitter.jpg

P1010001.JPG

I'm guessing the stock lip would have to come off though.

If you want it as high as the aix car you posted a while back, in which it didn't look good because of the height. For added downforce it adds very little if any at all.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
If you want it as high as the aix car you posted a while back, in which it didn't look good because of the height. For added downforce it adds very little if any at all.

Would it work with the stock lip?

It seems like it has too much 'give' to it to bolt it underneath. I haven't seen a Mach 1 piece up close.

racebronco2

Established Member
Would it work with the stock lip?

It seems like it has too much 'give' to it to bolt it underneath. I haven't seen a Mach 1 piece up close.

It would but then the height would be too low for most people.

It does give some but with the stock rubber lip it looks good.

The mach 1 lip actually forces air up and increases the downforce.

Ideally the right height for most people if you removed the stock rubber lip and installed it to the molded in lip the bumper cover already has, but then you would have a 1" void space between the bumper cover and the splitter. If you kept it short (1 to 2 inches) you wouldn't need any supports.

Users who are viewing this thread