IMG_4918(800px).jpg

IMG_4919(800px).jpg

IMG_4920(800px).jpg

IMG_4921(800px).jpg

IMG_4922(800px).jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm not impressed with internals, they look no better than those in the mod motors. Ford says the rods are forged, but I think they are just playing with the definitions. I've seen them refer to powdered metal rods as powder forged. Looks like that's what's going on here. On the plus side, the intake valves are very large and the valvetrain and canted valve layout look great. The combustion chamber shape is very similar to that of the new Dodge Hemi engines.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Nice pics.

Those rods are not forged and I don't care what Ford says. Powder forged is not the same as proper forging. The crank looks cast too.

For a truck engine it'll be fine though, and more than competitive for it's intended application.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Are both timing chains on the back? Or is it like the v-6 version that has one primary on the front and the other driven from the rear. Not a fan of that at all.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Was it just me, or did I see TWO spark plugs in a cylinder?

That's neat.

About the rear timing set.. Until we actually get our hands on one and pull it apart, we won't know how easy or difficult it'll be to swap cams. Who knows, maybe someone will come out with a "quick change" tool like with the 2V motors. Maybe it'll be easier than the existing modulars?

It'll be interesting to see how much larger bore this motor will take.

Homer

Shin

Established Member
wouldnt the cams directly moving the valves be more efficient/cut down on moving parts/less weight = more HP?

It looks like 2 spark plugs per cylinder to me also

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
wouldnt the cams directly moving the valves be more efficient/cut down on moving parts/less weight = more HP?

It looks like 2 spark plugs per cylinder to me also

I expect the valve train setup in this engine is much more efficient than the mod motors. And yes, it does have 2 plugs per cylinder.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I find it interesting that they moved the timing set to the back of the engine. Probably won't be doing a cam swap with the engine in the vehicle...

The timing chains / gears are not on the back of the engine. What you see in the pics (mounted on the back of the crank) is probably the stator that the computer uses to pickup crank location. Look at it real closely, it isn't a sprocket.

If you want another view, take a look at the video Ford has on the 2011 Super Duty website. If you pause it at just the right moment, you will be able to see the front mounted timing chains, just like in the current Mod motors.

Stinkypete

Established Member
Was it just me, or did I see TWO spark plugs in a cylinder?

That's neat.

About the rear timing set.. Until we actually get our hands on one and pull it apart, we won't know how easy or difficult it'll be to swap cams. Who knows, maybe someone will come out with a "quick change" tool like with the 2V motors. Maybe it'll be easier than the existing modulars?

It'll be interesting to see how much larger bore this motor will take.

Homer

Yep, that is two spark plugs in each cylinder. Looks like ford copied that from the dodge 6.1 hemi.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread