Some interesting 2015 stock exhaust pics on my buddies new S550 GT.

Torchy

Established Member
Seems to me if it were just a "cost" issue, ford would have welded both cats and not on just one side. However, I know nothing of how good a flow the stock cats are vs. swapping out for higher flowing cats. And- not that the feds are prosecuting anyone other than Republicans- it would be a vio to go without cats at all..right?

My guess is they did that for when you burn up a cat over time (because they will eventually) you don't have to replace the whole exhaust system.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Remember that the Mustang is a global car now.

Yes it is global, but a lot of global cars have region specific components such as exhaust for instance. The Mustang could too. With this deliberate restriction they are hurting themselves in their most important market: The United States. This is a poor marketing move that needs to be corrected.

acrbill

Established Member
I see potential for aftermarket setups that go with a large center mounted muffler then delete the rear mufflers. Getting rid of the cat seems as easy as using a sawzall and a band clamp. My choice would be an ecoboost anyhow and I would just go with a single 3" exhaust all the way back.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
Dear Ford,

Please put clamps on the drivers side shorty for 2016.

Thank you.

-All of SVTP and every other mustang enthusiast .

norm_ThumbUp.gif

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Damn.

You guys pretty much said it all. There are spots in the 15 factory shorty headers that the crimps look a little sharper and one primary isn't as smooth of a bend (after 5 and 6 merge).

BMR Tech,

11-14 shorty header swap is doable huh? It seems those could be picked up inexpensively used.

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
I had a car like this many years ago. It turned out, staying away from ridiculous high dollar names, and just going with a quality built muffler, having a welding and fab place do it for you, ended up being cheaper anyway. For instance, some of the systems costing $1.500 could cost you $1000 instead. It's been years since I Had this done though, so that could have changed. It will be interesting to see what guys start doing, if there is an alternative.

04svtsnke

Established Member
I could definitely see a entire exhaust picking up 50-60 hp tuned. Now it makes sense where all the power from the engine parts seal went.

ArabianOak

Established Member
yep...i'm excited by this, because as others have said, this setup looks like it will allow us to gain HUGE power with a full exhaust mod and tune.

Between full exhaust, intake and tune i'm thinking 470-480RWHP maybe a bit more! Thats what is exciting by this.

Anthony K

Established Member
Old thread I know. But my buddy 99saleenspeedster, told me Theres a good s550 forum here, I jumped back.

The Gibson 3" cat back was worth 5hp on the Livernois Dyno, that's it. Factory isn't that bad after all.

The stainless works 1 7/8" headers, no cats, got me from 426 to 445 on the same Dyno.

Man it sounds badass though!

Great power for a

Tune +22hp
Catback+5hp
Jlt cai +14 or 17 I gotta look again
And
Stainless works headers + 20

The Livernois Motorsports tune really packs a punch for the price

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Old thread I know. But my buddy 99saleenspeedster, told me Theres a good s550 forum here, I jumped back.

The Gibson 3" cat back was worth 5hp on the Livernois Dyno, that's it. Factory isn't that bad after all.

The stainless works 1 7/8" headers, no cats, got me from 426 to 445 on the same Dyno.

Great power for a

Tune +22hp
Catback+5hp
And

Great increase!

How did the power under the curve improve? Bottom, mid and top?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Great power for a

Tune +22hp
Catback+5hp
And

Those are nice gains. I'm looking forward to trying out a Livernois tune.

Users who are viewing this thread