Some Input Please

RegulatorJason

Established Member
i plan on buying a R/T, but just from reading these threads u all seem to shoot down dodge's r/t, i would like some reasons why or why not to go that route... i am going back and forth on what i want to buy... got $$$ burning a hole in my bank account...

MattNCSU

Who sharted?
Established Member
The interior is much nicer on a Lightning IMO. Plus, the look and performance of a Lightning just says "don't f**k with me". :p

philip

Tweet Tweet Bitch
Established Member
Well im guessing that you are talking about a R/T neon...well besides being slow, if you look at the competition (svt) there is a world of difference. When I was looking for a car I looked at the R/T and was really dissapointed: drove just like a normal neon I think that their "Premium" model should have more than 20 horsepower over stock. Anti lock brakes were an option...these should be standard on a "Premium" model. The stereo sucked. The interior was plain cloth. And I think a car with the title 'sport compact' shouldn't have four doors. The car must have an identity crisis. And for the value the svt focus blows the R/T out of the water no questions asked......And if you arent talking about the neon im pretty sure the story is the same with the rest of the R/T lineup.

RegulatorJason

Established Member
LoL... nah man! NOT A NEON! ROFL!:lol: :loser: a Dodge Dakota R/T LoL.. i know the L is faster... but i am basicly asking if there is anything wrong with it? alot of recalls? i cant afford a lightning! no way.. got college to pay for...

RegulatorJason

Established Member
btw (by the way):p if anyone knows or is theirselves selling a R/T (Dakota that is) LoL.. let me know! i am very interested... Either IM me on AIM @ RegulatorJason or u can also e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks! Please if anymore input about the R/T please Post! i am researching it by myself but u guys prolly know best... i am trusting you :beer:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If you are worried about paying for college, you have a truck that works. Keep that and put the money towards your education. That will pay off bigger in the long run.

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
LOL.. Man ! ! Dakota R/T doesn't seem very practical. It gets 9 mpg. And is still going to hit ya on insurance and they aren't cheap. I say save your money. Not worrying about money will make college so much easier ! Go through college keep saving your money. Graduate and by a Lightning. Trus me it's happened to every single person i've met that is my age. They bought a brand new car. And ended loathing it after 6 months because they had to keep up with Full coverage insurance and Big Car Payments. ! I say keep it cheap, and economical through college. Because trust me after 6 months your prolly going to hate making those payments every month and working for a truck ! Work for yourself, your education and for your future. Just my two cents because trust me I wish I had it to do all over again !!!!!

I drive a civic. But have a lightning picture stapled to my School Folder so I know what i'm going to get once i get out and to keep my lazy ass motivated. Because doing something that you hate to do 40 + hrs a week sucks ! ! ! !

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Looks better, handles extremely better, is faster and it is easier to modify the previously stated 3 things.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by RegulatorJason
i plan on buying a R/T, but just from reading these threads u all seem to shoot down dodge's r/t, i would like some reasons why or why not to go that route... i am going back and forth on what i want to buy... got $$$ burning a hole in my bank account...

Iv got a Dakota R/T and Ill tell you they are alot of fun, high quality interior, good big durable engine. Granted it will take alittle bit more $$$ to get it going in comparison to the lightening its worth the money. I'd say without the hassle though, if your just looking for something fast on the spot, also good high quality, hands down, the lightening is what your looking for. Personally though I still think the Dak R/T looks better IMO and I think there is alot more individuality when it comes to the R/T. No 2 R/T's seem to look exactly the same as another.

If your looking for a good deal on a used R/T hop on over to the www.Dakotart.com and click on the club page link (not the registry). Has a classifieds section.

Also to ripper, it gets 14mpg on the streets and 17 on the interstate, when I added my shaker and PCM it hopped on up to 19mpg... Granted thats still not too good in comparison to most but thats deffinatly a far cry than that 9mpg stuff you just mentioned...

Last edited:

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
LOL.. ? No prob? What was on the sticker. When I worked at the dodge dealer I could have sworn it sayed 9 and 12 :shrug: No clue. ? I think they look cool also. !! Not as cool as a lightning though ;-)

03CobraBro

Established Member
ahh its cool. Stickers out in the truck I think... Im almost 98% certain its 14/17... I know its deffinatly above 9 though lol.

Anyway well now that iv grown attached to my truck I'd take it over a lightening... but If I were speaking outside of biasness I would concider a used lightening over the R/T...

See this puts me in an ackward position... I own a Dodge truck and a Ford Car, SVT at that lol. So I dont know if im supposed to recommend the R/T or the Lightening hehe. I will say this though, I know the R/T doesnt qualify as a high performance vehicle on the insurence, so if your a younger guy, like myself which it sounds like you are, then I would deffinatly suggest the R/T.

Last edited:

RegulatorJason

Established Member
yea.. i dont plan on making payments Ripper, just pay for it all up front... no way im paying intrest rates! i agree... i have yet to see 2 R/T that look alike, and everyone in my town has a damn lightning! not like its a bad truck, ok may it is a bad-ass truck! but insurence would be a mother, not as bad as R/T tho just like CobraBro said " I know the R/T doesnt qualify as a high performance vehicle on the insurence, so if your a younger guy, like myself which it sounds like you are, then I would deffinatly suggest the R/T." well im gunna check out that site, and do a little more research. Any More Suggestions?

03CobraBro

Established Member
Well there doesnt seem to be too many R/Ts in the classifieds right now... Make sure to hit Ebay Motors too, they always seem to have a few for sale.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by RegulatorJason
and everyone in my town has a damn lightning!

I think you might be confusing other Ford packages for Lightnings.

Lets do the math. 99-03 gen 2 L's produced. Total production to date somewhere around 22,000. Not including other countries that got L's, that is about 423 L's per state. As opposed to the few 100,000+ F150s made per year.

I actually see more R/T's than L's. But either way it is your decision.

I still say keep your F150 and your cash and buy down your college education and all the things that go along with it.

My education is what allows me to have all my toys.

And if you dont like the interest rates on auto loans you certainly wont enjoy the interest rates on 10-25 year student loans.

Good luck

03CobraBro

Established Member
Well, they only make alittle over 2000, if that, of the R/T's per year the first couple years they only made around 1500... so it shouldnt be a big surprise that you see more Lightenings around than R/Ts.

When I got my Amberfire R/T back in 00' there were only 3 or 4 other amberfire R/T's in indiana.

BTW Jason... when you finally decide to buy a new vehicle... how much are you looking to spend?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread