Some 6R80 Auto Testing......Transbrake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
That's a thought nonliberal. Maybe that's what the beefacke campmis mulling over since it got awefully quiet all the sudden

I'm no Beef fanboy, supporter, or customer...but how did it get quiet? Didn't Beef posted he has his car on the dyno getting it ready for Sunday....are you in the process of getting ready for Sunday?

So much talking man, its quite simple. Do you have a car or a customers car ready to race? Beef has said over and over he wants to race and he will be ready...that's one thing you have to give Terry credit for - He may do an awful lot of talking or self back-patting...whatever you want to call it, but he shows up and give it 100% his best effort everytime.

Otherwise, its all just talk (which is ok and quite amusing). Personally, I'd like to see this "Grudge Match" go down, but I know it wont anytime soon.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
I'm no Beef fanboy, supporter, or customer...but how did it get quiet? Didn't Beef posted he has his car on the dyno getting it ready for Sunday....are you in the process of getting ready for Sunday?

So much talking man, its quite simple. Do you have a car or a customers car ready to race? Beef has said over and over he wants to race and he will be ready...that's one thing you have to give Terry credit for - He may do an awful lot of talking or self back-patting...whatever you want to call it, but he shows up and give it 100% his best effort everytime.

Otherwise, its all just talk (which is ok and quite amusing). Personally, I'd like to see this "Grudge Match" go down, but I know it wont anytime soon.

He already stated he does.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
OK, so I just cleaned up a bunch of name calling, a bunch of off topic pics and off topic discussion trying to be funny.

Now what to do?

So far I have issued a few infractions and removed crap.
I have a non-vendor who has already been warned about his advertising tactics doing it once again.

I have members insulting not only other members but a vendor.

If I close this (As I should because it really isn't going anywhere) then I'm the bad guy protecting a vendor.

If I leave it open it will probably go back off topic and turn one again to shit.

So here's what will happen,
In a minute I will re-open this.
It will reopen with my personal opinion on the topic as an enthusiest, After that it will remain on topic or get closed.

The topic is the transbrake and now I guess the race.

ANY off topic smart ass comment will result in an infraction or ban.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
As an enthusiest and drag racer for 25+ years I've watched this sport and people change.
New Tech has now made it easier than ever to run good numbers.

Numbers that not long ago were left for caged race cars.

With that said, Sometimes just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Lots of guys now running these numbers have never done so and this is new, not saying the following guys are n fact in that group but these responses help bring my point.

Terry, we are talking about these going on a lot of STREET CARS, so your RACE CAR numbers don't mean anything. Cause your RACE car goes fast, does NOT make you competition. Not everyone who has a power added is gunning for you and your RACE car.

Like Dustin said...can you imagine a Stock car, with only Turbo Kit, Converter, and some Tires going Mid 9's with the help of a transbrake? Its pretty cool, thats why every one else is excited.

Thats why he is working so hard for this.

I would have to agree here not everyone wants a 8sec track car. A 9sec street car that u can drive everyday is the shit and from what I see that's what most guys want.

Transbrake, basicly it puts 1st and reverse on at the same time.

There are not many things if ANY that put as much pressure and heat into a tranny.
Not everyone knows how it works so noobs think it is cool.
Must admit, it is pretty cool, it also kills the arguement about autos not shocking the tires like a clutch dumped manual does.
When on the brake the tranny is holdiong the car so suspension and tires are not preloaded as it would be on footbrake.

My main response to the above is this,

Transbrake on a street car is ****ing stupid.
Transbrakes should be left on race cars.
I agree with beef that no one knows how the stock auto will hold up to this.

Will it be fun to find out?
Yep but I'm sure a few fast street cars may get hurt in the process.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Back on topic(s)

I cant wait to get some more TESTING done on the 6R80, after all that's why I started the thread. My poor 54,000 mile tranny is gonna get tested first...if its good, im sure the rest will be...for how long no one knows, I guess its like running 9's with the stock motor and trans.

Side Topic -

Lock it in boys! cant back out now!

CPRsm

You cray cray. It's harder on a trany, but still not there w a manual. Upon release of the brake, the converter is still there to cushion the blow. Especially if you two step below stall speed. That gives the engine a running start at the converter lock up and "eases" into it even more so. Make your tranny last forever? Nope. Easy way to make your street car a shit ton faster without a ridiculously loose stall? Hell yes. That being said the way it's developed this brake will not be as harsh as older brakes, if you so desire. But I won't discuss it here anymore that's ok w me.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
There are not many things if ANY that put as much pressure and heat into a tranny.
Not everyone knows how it works so noobs think it is cool.
Must admit, it is pretty cool, it also kills the arguement about autos not shocking the tires like a clutch dumped manual does.
When on the brake the tranny is holdiong the car so suspension and tires are not preloaded as it would be on footbrake.

You're still going thru the torque converter, not a clutch, the hit will be easier coming off the brake I'd imagine

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You cray cray. It's harder on a trany, but still not there w a manual. Upon release of the brake, the converter is still there to cushion the blow. Especially if you two step below stall speed. That gives the engine a running start at the converter lock up and "eases" into it even more so. Make your tranny last forever? Nope. Easy way to make your street car a shit ton faster without a ridiculously loose stall? Hell yes. That being said the way it's developed this brake will not be as harsh as older brakes, if you so desire. But I won't discuss it here anymore that's ok w me.

I disagree,

Same/similar set ups I have never seen a manual 60' as well as a braked auto.

Edit: maybe shouldn't say never but in most cases.

That right there tells me which is harder on the tranny.

I always kept 2-step below stall.
Well, there were a few of those lets see just how hard it can launch times......

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member

Ditto. Used to launch a fox body @5,500 by side stepping the clutch. It was so violent it was amazing. Car would dead hook everytime on 28x10.5 with 4.10's. Car usually pulled 1.4-1.45 60's but did go a 1.38-1.39 a time or two. Put a C4 in with a 5,500 JW converter with a brake and it still pulled the same 60 foots but much easier on everything it seemed.

I can see it being kinda bad on a street car. Push the button while cruising and we may have an issue. I'd still run one though... :D

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Ditto. Used to launch a fox body @5,500 by side stepping the clutch. It was so violent it was amazing. Car would dead hook everytime on 28x10.5 with 4.10's. Car usually pulled 1.4-1.45 60's but did go a 1.38-1.39 a time or two. Put a C4 in with a 5,500 JW converter with a brake and it still pulled the same 60 foots but much easier on everything it seemed.

I can see it being kinda bad on a street car. Push the button while cruising and we may have an issue. I'd still run one though... :D

Reminds me of the old Ford transmission tester.. you'd plug it in to the transmission in place of the vehicle harness and push buttons to actuate various solenoids, unfortunately with a 4r44/5r55 if you pushed two of them at the same time, snap goes the intermediate shaft!
Not saying that's what would happen with the 6r80 but yes, don't hit the button by accident :pepper:

CPRsm

A manual is purely mechanical and a brake is still hydraulic to a point.

Any day Terry. Why don't you figure this out instead of cramming on your car for a race that will NEVER happen Sunday. That's how mistakes are made and shit gets hurt.

Last edited:

Bud

Established Member
My main response to the above is this,

Nothing stupid about a transbrake in a street/strip car, lots of people do it and it makes no difference when only used at the track. What is stupid about that? Why should transbrakes be left on race cars and not dual purpose cars? Before lock up converters, really high stalls were mainly for race cars, but technology that brought about locking converters made it possible. Should we have shied away from that technology and left it only on race cars?

Unfortunately parts get broken in the learning and testing process of new technology. As for people not knowing what they are doing and hitting the button while rolling or in a different gear, would probably only happen once. Would be cool if the tune strategy would only allow the tbrake to engage from a complete stop.

I agree that these cars do make it easier for people to go faster than they ever have before, don't damn that though. Dig it

Last edited:

hopony

Established Member
I disagree,

Same/similar set ups I have never seen a manual 60' as well as a braked auto.

Edit: maybe shouldn't say never but in most cases.

That right there tells me which is harder on the tranny.

I always kept 2-step below stall.
Well, there were a few of those lets see just how hard it can launch times......

3 rear ends, 1 drive shaft, 1 t56 and 3 clutches says a stick is harder on the drive train. Th400 with brake never broke anything.

nonliberal

Established Member
So hows the race planning coming along? You guys setting it up behind the scenes now or did that idea pass already? If my car was in that league I would race both of you. lol

Deespeed99

Established Member
So hows the race planning coming along? You guys setting it up behind the scenes now or did that idea pass already? If my car was in that league I would race both of you. lol

Im almost 90% sure ill be ready by tomorrow. My cars getting put on the dyno today and if all goes well should be done if not by tomorrow.:rockon:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Nothing stupid about a transbrake in a street/strip car, lots of people do it and it makes no difference when only used at the track. What is stupid about that? Why should transbrakes be left on race cars and not dual purpose cars? Before lock up converters, really high stalls were mainly for race cars, but technology that brought about locking converters made it possible. Should we have shied away from that technology and left it only on race cars?

Reading comprehension?

I never said dual or street/strip.
Street/strip would indicate a car set up for it.

People were talking a street car with ONLY a turbo kit and a brake.
I'm talking street cars that go to the track 3,4 or 5 times a year.
Makes no sense.

Bud

Established Member
Reading comprehension?

I never said dual or street/strip.
Street/strip would indicate a car set up for it.

People were talking a street car with ONLY a turbo kit and a brake.
I'm talking street cars that go to the track 3,4 or 5 times a year.
Makes no sense.

agreed, probably not much value for dyno queens

CPRsm

Give him a call. Nothing behind the scenes. All right here. I wouldn't tell him who what when where or why and then POOF. Church mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread