Solving engine overheating on really hot days

DRK HRS

Established Member
When the outside temp gets near 100F, my coolant temp usually starts rising with no sign of stopping unless I stop the car and let it cool for a while. Driving at highway speeds generally keeps it cool enough. I'm assuming this is thanks to my intercooler reducing airflow to the radiator + raising the temp of the air that does get to it, and the factory radiator not being able to compensate in this kind of weather.

In low/mid 90's weather and cooler, the car never overheats at all even if I run the piss out of it. Temp stays right where it should.

Is just upgrading to a better radiator like a Mishimoto enough to solve this problem? My tuner has this idea of "revamping" my entire cooling system, and I'm sure it's a good idea, but I'm wondering if it's overkill. I'm on a bit of a budget right now.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Have you gone over all the basics?
I'm not an SN95 owner so I may not know specifics but have you confirmed if the fan or fans come on at the correct temperatures?
If the thermostat opens properly?
If the radiator and cooling system is clean?

On my blown 05 I went with an Afco radiator and a Meziere electric water pump.
I've put over 60,000 miles on the electric water pump with no issues.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
If it's a 96 and the cooling recall wasn't done get an ac condenser for a 97, get the mishimomo rad and 180 stat. Use the stock fan you will have zero issues

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

DRK HRS

Established Member
Have you gone over all the basics?
I'm not an SN95 owner so I may not know specifics but have you confirmed if the fan or fans come on at the correct temperatures?
If the thermostat opens properly?
If the radiator and cooling system is clean?

On my blown 05 I went with an Afco radiator and a Meziere electric water pump.
I've put over 60,000 miles on the electric water pump with no issues.

I haven't done all of that, I'll check it all out. I did have a new stat installed about a year ago, maybe something is up with it.

DRK HRS

Established Member
If it's a 96 and the cooling recall wasn't done get an ac condenser for a 97, get the mishimomo rad and 180 stat. Use the stock fan you will have zero issues

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

It's an 03 Mach 1. I'll check a few things and see if any parts are bad. If not, I'll get the Mishimoto and see how it goes with that.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
What's up man I finally got my cobra back with the VMP on, fuel leak issue fixed etc but the tune is still not right. I can drive it and WOT seems ok but it's got drivability issues but I can drive it. I'd look into SVE radiators. Lot less expensive and from what I've heard the quality is fine. Last I checked though they were sold out. You going to Nostalgia in Belleville Saturday at 3pm?

nxhappy

Established Member
70 percent distilled water, 30 percent coolant, larger radiator, 170 T stat, larger fans

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
I’ve experienced the same problem on my 98 Cobra with a V1 S-trim. The factory stock radiators are only a single pass. While adequate for a stock engine they don’t have the cooling capacity in hot climates when boosted. Also stay with a 180 deg thermostat. The EECV PCM is dependent on coolant temperature to properly control the engine functions!

Users who are viewing this thread