Solid Axle Guys in Here

BurnTire

Established Member
Thinking of going to a live axle.

My car will be Mr. Whipple Soon. :-D

Just wanted to know how many people have 9" ends on their setups?

I dont plan on launching on the rev limiter. 4000-5000 max.

Any suggestions for UCA,LCA,Shocks, Springs.

I want a good street strip setup?

I just want a nice 1.6 to 1.7 60ft time on Slicks or Drag Radials with nice street manners.

I am open to all suggestions except beefing up the IRS. I feel the IRS is an evil wheel hop spirit in the back of my ride. :poke:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
BurnTire said:
...snip...
I am open to all suggestions except beefing up the IRS. I feel the IRS is an evil wheel hop spirit in the back of my ride. :poke:

I suggest you remove the supercharger, that will reduce your wheelhop and cost less than a 9"

:fart:

hurtindude

Banned
postban said:
I suggest you remove the supercharger, that will reduce your wheelhop and cost less than a 9"

:fart:

i am fond of the IRS myself also. Can't beat the ride quality. going to corner better.

I took postban's advice on the irs beef up. I changed the diff bushings front and back, also irs subframe. Added a steeda irs brace (should have went billet flow or moto blue).

I have no sub frame connectors, and factory f-1 tires. I have almost no wheel hop. she hops a little right when she is just at the point where traction is being lost. I have a torsen commith soon, maybe tires after that.

I expect little to no hop after that. This is being in the warm weather also. I know come fall when the roads cool and the rubber tires get harder, i expect it to hop more. But i should have some 555s by then.

I like the IRS. Several of my friends attempted to talk me into a solid, but no way. My car has to date 3,400 miles on it, and i can't bring myself to do it. I don't want to put on anything that can't be removed to return the car to stock.

So subframe connectors for me. No welding what so ever, so also no irs subframe brackets.

I think the irs is a good design myself, ford just had to sac a little performance in the name of ride quality and tread life on the tires. I am just bringing it back the other direction. Soft rubber bushings and hard tires no more.
I have been told that my torsen t-2R upgrade will help wheel hop also, but untill it's installed the jury is still out on that one. I'll let ya know. Some one told me the clutchs slip during hop and cause uneven torque distribution as power moves from one wheel to the other as they hop, making it worse. Torsen eliminates this supposidly.

Maybe someone else could chime in and let me know if it helped them.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
because a solid axle is somehow bulletproof, huh? becuase they dont hop, huh?

afulca9mr.jpg

or
GMSLCA.jpg

oops!
Nite5.jpg

there's people getting sub-1.5 sixty foot times on the irs.

i'd definately spring for the 9" ends if i were going solid axle. you dont want c-clip eliminators on a street car (they're not that great on drag cars either). a set of 35 spline axles and a detroit locker should set you up right. metco control arms should help keep things where they should be. i would also add battle boxes and an adjustable rear antiroll bar.

but thats just me.

Last edited:

jeffsvt

Established Member
The second picture is my GMS weight jacker I snapped .

If you think your going to have an unbreakable 8.8 you are sadly mistaken . They break I'm on my 3rd rebuilt solid axle . But I understand the good old saying you have to pay to play or if you aren't breaking it you aren't racing it . I've got a cheap set of MAC uppers and lowers that have done me just fine . I added the GMS lowers and on the very first laucnh snapped one in half .

Some good recomendations for solid stuff would be a set of 03/04 Mach 1 springs , adjustable rear shocks ( strange , QA1 ) , metco upper and lower control arms .

BurnTire

Established Member
jeffsvt said:
The second picture is my GMS weight jacker I snapped .

If you think your going to have an unbreakable 8.8 you are sadly mistaken . They break I'm on my 3rd rebuilt solid axle . But I understand the good old saying you have to pay to play or if you aren't breaking it you aren't racing it . I've got a cheap set of MAC uppers and lowers that have done me just fine . I added the GMS lowers and on the very first laucnh snapped one in half .

Some good recomendations for solid stuff would be a set of 03/04 Mach 1 springs , adjustable rear shocks ( strange , QA1 ) , metco upper and lower control arms .

Thanks for the info.
I never said a solid in unbreakable.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
jesus guys, the man wants a solid, quit harping on the irs. my built 8.8 was free, only swapped my irs for it. now, how much $ have you guys spent beefing up that IRS? congrats. you car rides good, handles better. my car is set up for drag racing. i dont drive it daily, and all i want is a drag car. the solid is a better choice for me. and about the pics of broken 8.8 parts, how many threads/pic do you want to see of snapped halfshafts and other stuff? i respect all of yall, and you all have probably forgotten more about cars than i will ever know, but he didnt ask for oppinions in irs vs solid.

stepping of my soapbox, my C-clip 31 spine 8.8 is holding up fine with repeated high 1.4, low 1.5 60'times. launching at 5500. my thinking is that a 9" is overkill, seeing as a 8.8 is cheaper and more availible, and can be built just about as strong. yea, i should probably do a C-clip eliminator on it, but why fix what aint broken? well, in actuality i usualy fix stuff untill its broken, but thats another story. :beer:

BurnTire

Established Member
03InThe11s said:
oops. just re read your first post. 9" ends might be a good idea. :beer:

Is there any way to retain the ABS with the 9" ends?
I though I read a post about that somewhere before.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
i dont think there is, but i make it a point to be wrong atleast twice a day, and this might be one of those times. q for ya. are you panning on keeping a 26" tire out back?if not, (aka if your going to a 28 like i did), your abs is useless anyways, because the abs freaks due to the rear tires turning slower than the fronts. in truth, my suggestion would be to use a 31 spline c-clip axle. i havent broken mine yet, and im making 612/701 to the ground (on spray), and drag racing quite a bit. also, i'd suggest reinforcing the lower control arm boxes. if not, you will elongate the holes like i did. its a cheap mod, and its easier to do when they are new-ish and undamaged.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
BurnTire said:
Ahhh wisdom from the biggest IRS lover in the world. :beer:

:shrug:
been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

See now, I had bad wheelhop and did a live axle swap too. Full details in the BLUE PILL. Found out the hard way it cost less to remove hop (today) from the IRS than it does to build a quality live axle (unless you get free parts :eek: ), but I digress. Also I have never seen the logic of "run it till it breaks (stock GT 8.8 swap) and then build it up" crowd. Getting stranded somewhere with a blown stock diff or twisted GT axle in DETROIT is not an option.

To help you;
torque box reinf. I have used, 3 sets, different cars, excellent results.
http://www.umiperformance.com/1002.aspx $119

I have not seen an abs+9" ends car yet.

burntire said:
Any suggestions for UCA,LCA,Shocks, Springs.

I want a good street strip setup?
HPM Megabite Jr. or Metco or Maximum Motorsports
Shocks QA1 or Tokico
Springs, Bullitt with 1/2 coil cut

How much whipplization do you plan to apply? I got that t-shirt too...... :fart:

BurnTire

Established Member
postban said:
:shrug:
been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

See now, I had bad wheelhop and did a live axle swap too. Full details in the BLUE PILL. Found out the hard way it cost less to remove hop (today) from the IRS than it does to build a quality live axle (unless you get free parts :eek: ), but I digress. Also I have never seen the logic of "run it till it breaks (stock GT 8.8 swap) and then build it up" crowd. Getting stranded somewhere with a blown stock diff or twisted GT axle in DETROIT is not an option.

To help you;
torque box reinf. I have used, 3 sets, different cars, excellent results.
http://www.umiperformance.com/1002.aspx $119

I have not seen an abs+9" ends car yet.

HPM Megabite Jr. or Metco or Maximum Motorsports
Shocks QA1 or Tokico
Springs, Bullitt with 1/2 coil cut

How much whipplization do you plan to apply? I got that t-shirt too...... :fart:

Well I have a 03 GT convert in the garage so I have a good Free axle to start with. I will do the torque boxes. I have done those before on my fox body. I know all about wheel hop on a live axle. I had it on previous cars. That is why I am asking questions to avoid buy stuff over and over. Whipple will be set up for high 500's on 91 octane and maybe 620 with race gas.

Users who are viewing this thread