Solid Axel question

oxw01svt

Established Member
i just picked up a solid axel out of a 99 gt and the pass side axel tube is slightly bent. Question is can it be straightened at an axel shop or did i just pick up a headache? And about how much if possible do shops charge for straightening axel tubes? Thanks guys

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Did you know it was bent when you bought it? If not, I'd do my best to get the money back if I were you.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
its to late to return unfortunately. whats a chassis shop charge to straighten them and weld them?

I have no earthly idea. I wouldn't want anything to do with it personally. Kinda like buying a car with frame damage.. sure they can straighten the frame, but it'll never be as strong as it was.

matted2thefloor

Established Member
Im with Un4GivN on this one. Maybe have the axle tube replaced or somethin.

That probably is the best viable option for you unless you buy another one. The "tubes" are actually pressed into the center section...that's why you'll hear about people welding the tubes to the center section to keep them from spinning or even coming out under high horsepower/torque apps. Unfortunately, you'd have to have another rear end to replace a tube...might be able to buy a tube aftermarket though. Rob at Pro-Dyno is a 'Stang suspension guru as well as a tuner and he might be able to shed some better light on it for ya.

G/L

Users who are viewing this thread