Sold the car. Bought a river boat... PICS

red9450

Established Member
Well, after 10 years of owning and hot rodding mustangs, I felt as though I needed a break. I own a bass boat with a prop, and a deep V with a prop for the big lakes, but always wanted to get a boat dedicated for the river here. (susquehanna) I owned a small one with a 20hp Jet, and it did the job, but was small, cramped, and slow. I fish tournaments at the lakes, but the ones held at the river I could not compete in due to the fact that my little boat was just not enough.

This is the perfect River machine for me.

G3 HP 180 with a 115/80 merc jet, 80lb thrust troller, tournament style livewell, ect.... Not fast by Prop powered bass boat standards, but compared to most of the stuff thats on the river, this thing is a rocket. most boats have 60/40s, and an occasional 90/65. this motor moves it pretty well. i GPS'd it today at 42mph. Running 42 over 8" of water def gives you that pucker factor.

image6.jpg

image5.jpg

image4.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

Caught a ton of fish on the boat's maiden voyage today. Caught 36 walleye between the two of us, and 20+ smallies.
image8.jpg

a lot of the walleye were shorts, but did get half a dozen that were 20"+ with the largest being 24".

Here's pop with the first fish on the new rig.
image7.jpg

I know this is a car enthusiast site, but figured there has to be a few fisherman on here. :beer:

OU812

Established Member
I can't wait to get back to the states so I can do some fishing with my dad, I miss that kind of stuff. I didn't know they made jet drive outboards, that's pretty cool. I had a jet boat when I was in Charleston but it had a big block chevy with a 6/71 blower on it...lol

red9450

Established Member
awesome!

ive contemplated selling the car for a bass boat but im not ready yet lol

Either way they're money pits, but I get to use this much more as the river is only a 10 min ride from my house to the launch.

fangstang

Established Member
nice! I've been wanting a bass boat forever. hopefully one day soon. nice smallie btw

red9450

Established Member
I can't wait to get back to the states so I can do some fishing with my dad, I miss that kind of stuff. I didn't know they made jet drive outboards, that's pretty cool. I had a jet boat when I was in Charleston but it had a big block chevy with a 6/71 blower on it...lol

They're really the only way to fish the river, at least rivers like this. If you tried to run this river with a prop you would tear the lower end off the boat. I can run full blast in 6-8" of water.

That jet boat must have been a monster! :rockon:

red9450

Established Member
nice! I've been wanting a bass boat forever. hopefully one day soon. nice smallie btw

Thanks man. I have to say that it is one of the most relaxing activities i've ever done, and always find myself striving to be better. Always something to learn. The susquehanna river is one of the best smallmouth fisheries on the east coast. 2.5-3lb smallies are pretty common. My largest is 22 1/4, 5lb 14 and looked like a football with fins lol. they also have some huge cats, walleyes, and a good number of these....

IMG_0368.jpg

44" muskie.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Really great boat you bought, and it looks like you have as much fun on the water as many here do on pavement. :)

Spyderbell

No Time for Gas
Established Member
Very cool boat I am jealous! We have an old thompson we use on the Maumee river but the closest place to launch is a 45 min drive. I'd love to have something like that so we could launch 10 mins away.

Side note I wish NW Ohio had a fishing spot where you could catch 50 fish in a day that's awesome!

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and fished for small mouth and walleyes all over the state. Looks like a really good time. Enjoy

red9450

Established Member
Pike are the BEST fights!!!

That was a 40" Muskie, but we were actually out yesterday and got a 34" northern pike.... It went airborn 3 or 4 times and yes, they are an awesome fight!
1321895955.jpg

My buddy on the right caught it. One of the best fisherman I know, period. What makes it even crazier is that he lost his right arm in a motorcycle accident.... To see him fish with one arm is damn impressive.
Really great boat you bought, and it looks like you have as much fun on the water as many here do on pavement. :)
I do really enjoy it. I roosted my buddy at the launch yesterday. With the jet you can trim up until the pump is out of the water and gun it. It shoots water like a firehose with this big of a motor...
Lol so when am I coming up state lenny?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Anytime you want to go.... We can plan a trip. You'd have a blast

Very cool boat I am jealous! We have an old thompson we use on the Maumee river but the closest place to launch is a 45 min drive. I'd love to have something like that so we could launch 10 mins away.

Side note I wish NW Ohio had a fishing spot where you could catch 50 fish in a day that's awesome!
This is a pretty common day. The fishing is off the hook all year long....

Nice! Fishing FTW! I can't wait to have my own small boat one day.

It's so nice to just hook up the boat, grab a cooler with some beer and float around on the water on a nice sunny day....

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh and fished for small mouth and walleyes all over the state. Looks like a really good time. Enjoy

Thanks man. They are a blast!

Where on the river are you located? My family is from Athens PA right near the NY border, we fish the river all the time.
Near Wilkes barre/Scranton

Last edited:

bright blue

Established Member
Looks great! I fish bass tournaments as well. Currently I hold the Mid-KY Bass Angler's AOY title for 2 years running.

I've got a fiberglass bass boat with a 115 Merc on it, it'll run 50 mph, not the fastest by any standards, but fast enough to get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread