Sold His 911 For A GT350

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The GT350 would be perfect if it weighed around 3300lbs or less. I think they weigh around 3750lbs right? R is 3650lbs.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Depends on options. A no option R is 3650. With the Electronics Pack, the R weighs 3710. The standard GT350 weighs somewhere around 3800 with options.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
+1... Pick your poison.

My take??

This summer my sister-in-law, whose husband is about to win the stock market cannabis lottery, came in town and rented us a 2015 911 Carrera to drive for the week. I was stoked. I'm a huge Porsche fan. My only previous experience was with a co-workers 2008 GT3 on track at the Autobahn Country club. Fantastic machine. Well, we get the rental. It has a little over 30K miles on the odometer. It was obviously poorly maintained. It smelled like burning oil at every stop light. It was s...l....o....w. The PDK was a massive disappointment. You came off stop lights like you were a grandma or you were speed-racer-wannabe. There was no part throttle acceleration. All or nothing. Needless to say that experience seriously cooled my thoughts of buying a late model used 911 as a toy.

The GT350, imho, was a wise choice. It would be mine as well.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
To me, you cannot compare the 911 to the GT350, both are great cars in their own right.

The new GT3 is something amazing if you like your rubber planted to the road in curves. But you could buy two GT350's for the price.

E

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
+1... Pick your poison.

My take??

This summer my sister-in-law, whose husband is about to win the stock market cannabis lottery, came in town and rented us a 2015 911 Carrera to drive for the week. I was stoked. I'm a huge Porsche fan. My only previous experience was with a co-workers 2008 GT3 on track at the Autobahn Country club. Fantastic machine. Well, we get the rental. It has a little over 30K miles on the odometer. It was obviously poorly maintained. It smelled like burning oil at every stop light. It was s...l....o....w. The PDK was a massive disappointment. You came off stop lights like you were a grandma or you were speed-racer-wannabe. There was no part throttle acceleration. All or nothing. Needless to say that experience seriously cooled my thoughts of buying a late model used 911 as a toy.

I own a 2017 911 gts 7 speed manual. I wouldnt trade it for any mustang. Completely different level of quality and driving experience.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
To me, you cannot compare the 911 to the GT350, both are great cars in their own right.
The new GT3 is something amazing if you like your rubber planted to the road in curves. But you could buy two GT350's for the price.
Agreed.
The new GT3 is a nasty and beautiful car.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
God damn, we have too much vlog posting going on these days. Can we rename this section to "Pics & Vlogs"?

I mean, I'm not sure if I would base my entire opinion of one car company and it's line up based on a beat to shit rental car. The only Porsche I've driven was a 86.5 928S4 that was used as a laundry basket and sat in a driveway in the slums of Delaware for like 10 years before my friend rebuilt it and put it back on the road. If I thought all Porsche's were like that car I'd assume they're all on par with Yugo build quality.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The GT350s are awesome, I have debated numerous times on buying one. Just not sure if I can part with my GT500. Congrats OP on getting your GT350.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I enjoyed watching the entire video. $43K ain't bad at all for that GT-350. 13K miles. I've never driven one, but I'll bet the experience does make the hairs on your arms stand up like he said. The sound of that motor when he was going through the long tunnel was awesome!

Derrick, does your GT-350R have the Electronics Pack?

Not every 911 owner would want to swap for a GT-350, but this guy did, and he is very happy with it. Buy what you like, and like what you buy!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The GT350s are awesome, I have debated numerous times on buying one. Just not sure if I can part with my GT500. Congrats OP on getting your GT350.

You don't have to part with your GT500. I couldn't/didn't part with mine. If faced with having to get rid of one of them, it would be a very hard decision to make! But, in the end, it would probably be the R that would be let go. I have too much blood, sweat, and love put into my GT500. It's like a family member now. I used to tell myself that, if I like it enough, I'd trade it for the new GT500. Now I'm not too sure. I'd more than likely just end up adding a third Mustang to the garage. (Then I'd have the non-car people constantly asking "Why do you have 3 of the same car?" Ugh!)

Derrick, does your GT-350R have the Electronics Pack?

Yes. No way in the world I could be without A/C in the NC/SC summers! Well, I could, but I also don't like all that nasty road grime that builds up on all the upholstery and windows from driving with the windows down all the time. Have you ever done a deep detail on a car that keeps the windows down? It's disgusting the amount of grime you find.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I own a 2017 911 gts 7 speed manual. I wouldnt trade it for any mustang. Completely different level of quality and driving experience.
Yes, your 100k+ 911 is better than any mustang. It better be since it is probably triple the cost of a 5.0, or double the cost of a GT350. Only 911 worth owning imo is a GT3 so, lol, I'd rather own so many other things (Viper) than a non GT3 911.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
Yes, your 100k+ 911 is better than any mustang. It better be since it is probably triple the cost of a 5.0, or double the cost of a GT350. Only 911 worth owning imo is a GT3 so, lol, I'd rather own so many other things (Viper) than a non GT3 911.

Understood but I already own a twin turbo r8, supercharged 2017 r8, and a few other exotics so its not like i was giving up anything to get a 100k plus 911. I would wax a gt3 in a straight line and similiar around a track with my new suspension setup....

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on options. A no option R is 3650. With the Electronics Pack, the R weighs 3710. The standard GT350 weighs somewhere around 3800 with options.

I did not know they were that heavy. For some reason I assumed both were around the 3500 mark.

Whatever you have to do to validate paying over 90k for a mustang I guess

EL OH EL.

x10.

csc427

Established Member
+1... Pick your poison.

My take??

Your experience with a base model Porsche Carrera would be similar to reviewing a base model v6 mustang from 2015. Neither are anywhere representative of their performance counterparts. I.e. gt350/500 or turbo/gt3.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bench racing aside and considering this all 100% subjective; I looked at this as a used car, as a toy, purchase. Even if the Carrera was 25% less of rental car junker, I couldn't justify $60K-ish for something like that. Given that price range, the GT350 (Z28, Z06, ZR1, etc etc) would win all day long.

Not trying to paint the brand with any one experience. I still love Porsche and their design. My '16 Touareg is one of the nicest vehicles I've ever owned. But I think the reality is if you aren't spending over $75K for a pre-owned 911 you're likely buying a headache. To each their own; but for that kind of scratch there are far nicer vehicles to be had from a number of manufacturers.

Unless, of course, we're talking SVTP baller. Then I'll take two GT2RS... Maybe add in a McLaren 720s for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread