So you want to put an eaton powered 5.4L DOHC in your car

Status
Not open for further replies.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
427Windsorman said:
Ahh, well. The stock 03 / 04 Cobra heads are excellent in their own right :)

They are good, but I was made aware of an early test done with the GT500 motor. On one of the 5.4 test motors they used Terminator heads, with a custom lower intake and the M112 Eaton that is the same as what is on the Terminator. The engine power output to the flywheel was in the 430's. at about 9psi. I think this may have been to derive a base tune file for the new heads and blower using parts that they were comfortable with and new exactly what flow numbers they would be dealing with. Now, once they had the revised Ford GT heads, and new Eaton blower mounted in place of the terminator parts they saw about 480 crank HP at the same boost levels and same tune. This was around the time that they started throwing out the 475hp number that the GT500 would be ranked at. After some more fine tweaking they finally got the numbers to around 500 Flywheel hp. So, without changing anything at all in the tune or boost levels the GT500 heads and Blower alone are worth about 50 HP. This shows how much better the new heads and Eaton are. I would say that the heads were worth at leas 35hp of the total gain.

-Jeff

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member

I just got finished building a 5.4 DOHC Nav with the Eaton. I widened a Termie intake and made adapters to mount the pulley bridge. I also modded a Termie alternator bracket to fit. I did originally fab up a bracket for the alt, but changed it out when I came up with a used bracket.

Not a cheap project, but lots of fun.

I am really itching to drop it in the Bullitt. :pepper:

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
They are good, but I was made aware of an early test done with the GT500 motor. On one of the 5.4 test motors they used Terminator heads, with a custom lower intake and the M112 Eaton that is the same as what is on the Terminator. The engine power output to the flywheel was in the 430's. at about 9psi. I think this may have been to derive a base tune file for the new heads and blower using parts that they were comfortable with and new exactly what flow numbers they would be dealing with. Now, once they had the revised Ford GT heads, and new Eaton blower mounted in place of the terminator parts they saw about 480 crank HP at the same boost levels and same tune. This was around the time that they started throwing out the 475hp number that the GT500 would be ranked at. After some more fine tweaking they finally got the numbers to around 500 Flywheel hp. So, without changing anything at all in the tune or boost levels the GT500 heads and Blower alone are worth about 50 HP. This shows how much better the new heads and Eaton are. I would say that the heads were worth at leas 35hp of the total gain.

-Jeff

I know the GT500 / Ford GT heads are superior, but it appears no one is engineering a decent method of adapting them for use in the Terminator. If that happened, I would definately opt for them in a swap. My ultimate desire is to have a swap kit available to drop in an aluminum 5.4 with the GT500 heads and a whipple 3.4 without having to do a lot of fabrication.

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member
427Windsorman said:
I know the GT500 / Ford GT heads are superior, but it appears no one is engineering a decent method of adapting them for use in the Terminator. If that happened, I would definately opt for them in a swap. My ultimate desire is to have a swap kit available to drop in an aluminum 5.4 with the GT500 heads and a whipple 3.4 without having to do a lot of fabrication.

Yep, it seems like it is almost intentional to keep you from putting together some combos. They change just enough that things won't match up without major modification......:shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
427Windsorman said:

I couldn't agree more.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Why not just get an aluminum 5.4 block with GT500 heads/intake and a GT500 - specific twin screw?

As far as I know the GT block needs modification, Ford might release an aluminum GT500 like they did for the Terminator?

Either that, or I'm lost.

But +1 to being interested in OP's idea. :pepper:

Bullitt54

5.4 Anti-Venom
Established Member

03 DSG Snake said:
Why not just get an aluminum 5.4 block with GT500 heads/intake and a GT500 - specific twin screw?

As far as I know the GT block needs modification, Ford might release an aluminum GT500 like they did for the Terminator?

I guess you could go that route (if you happen to have an extra 30 grand laying around you don't need) :poke:

Or KarKraft has a complete new Ford GT engine for sale a bit more than that!!

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:

There is the fact that the GT500 supercharger inlet is on the opposite side as the inlet on the Terminator. I am sure it could all be made to work, but I, like many others, really want a more "plug n play" solution :)

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member
5.4 fun

That is what this is all about.......everybody puttin in their .02 !

I like to tinker and figure things out, when I am done it can be closer to plug and play for anyone who wants this kit. it may not be equal to a stock GT in stock form but it can easily be made to out perform one at the fraction of the cost.

:rockon:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
crazydave01 said:

I like to tinker and figure things out, when I am done it can be closer to plug and play for anyone who wants this kit. it may not be equal to a stock GT in stock form but it can easily be made to out perform one at the fraction of the cost.

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :pepper: :beer:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
crazydave01 said:

Where in Ohio are you located?
I'm in Ft. Wayne, IN and wouldn't mind stopping by and seeing this as well as talking to you about this project in a little better detail!
Hermann and Al P. are going to be bulding me one badass 5.4 as soon as I get the motor to them!

Ken:beer:

- Aj -

Established Member
I also replied on the "other" site, just keeping watch for updates.

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member

4sdvenom said:
Where in Ohio are you located?
I'm in Ft. Wayne, IN and wouldn't mind stopping by and seeing this as well as talking to you about this project in a little better detail!
Hermann and Al P. are going to be bulding me one badass 5.4 as soon as I get the motor to them!

Ken:beer:

Ken

I live near Akron

Sent you a PM

Dave

absolom

Established Member
i'm needing to put a 5.4 DOHC out of a navi in a 65 fastback, but i want a whipple on top good for around 600-700

we'll be rebuilding the engine with a stronger bottom end, but i'm still confused as to exactly what heads and intake i'll need to run

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member

absolom said:
i'm needing to put a 5.4 DOHC out of a navi in a 65 fastback, but i want a whipple on top good for around 600-700

we'll be rebuilding the engine with a stronger bottom end, but i'm still confused as to exactly what heads and intake i'll need to run

You buy the Navi long block, preferably with all the accs. to make it easier. To make it real easy you can send me your timing cover. Then you will need to get from an 03/04 Cobra the following parts to send also.

Alt brackets
lower intake
Coolant crossover ( unless you want to use another for your app)

I can modify these parts to fit directly on to the navi long block. You can use the navi heads, the ports are much larger the any 4.6 head.
You will also need to find the pullley bridge and a lower pulley kit, you won't need the cobra harmonic if you got all the navi accs. as they are 8 rib.

I am not sure with your car how you will do the intercooler/ Heat exchanger set up but it can't be very difficult.

I am real close to having this complete for my car, I'll keep everyone posted

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread