So you want Brembo brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Okay cool. I may later on down the road but I don't autocross the car or anything. It's a weekend cruiser/drag strip car so I didn't think the stainless lines would make that much of a difference.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app
My swap (and I wrote the thread years ago) did not include stainless lines, and to this day I still am running the factory lines. My car is now whipple charged as well and the brakes are great performers. The only change I've considered is going to the 6 piston.

bmilteer94

Established Member
My swap (and I wrote the thread years ago) did not include stainless lines, and to this day I still am running the factory lines. My car is now whipple charged as well and the brakes are great performers. The only change I've considered is going to the 6 piston.
That's awesome man, I guess I'll be doing the swap tonight after i get off. Thanks for the info!

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
An FYI, paint the calipers first!!! and let them dry! When you bleed the calipers that fluid is corrosive to paint and will eat it off. 2 years later I've still yet to fix the paint where it got eaten off.

bmilteer94

Established Member
Yeah i got my buddy to professionally paint em and they've been curing since Sunday lol. We have a pressure bleeder here at work and a bottle with a hose that attaches to the bleeder so hopefully I can keep the fluid from getting on the caliper.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
You don't have to but if you want a firmer pedal then it is highly recommended.

It is also recommended if you intend to drive faster because of the better brakes (i.e. on a road course).

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Yeah i got my buddy to professionally paint em and they've been curing since Sunday lol. We have a pressure bleeder here at work and a bottle with a hose that attaches to the bleeder so hopefully I can keep the fluid from getting on the caliper.

That was a good idea. I was stupid in the way I went about it, having the parts sitting there for two weeks without thinking to paint them and then doing it that morning and installing that afternoon. That's the only regret I have of the whole thing. Then cosmetics got moved to the back burner and now two plus years later I have all but forgotten about it until I read it here. I had stainless lines on my old 89 LX 5.0 car and didn't find any difference in feel between them and stock, though I can't disagree with the fact that they are an upgrade over rubber......just not anything that I put any real immediate value in as I don't track my car.

bmilteer94

Established Member
Yeah I'm glad I had em painted a few days before the actual install but now I'm just worried about the fluid eating up the paint but I guess as long as I don't let it sit for so long it should be okay.

munchy_cool

Established Member
Just FYI the crossover tube can now be purchased separately. Bending lines is very easy if you pack them with sand. No worries about collapsing a wall in and no using a janky tube bender. Just clean them out thoroughly afterwards.
link to crossover tubes please?

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I’m not sure as the links didn’t go to parts. Although these days from what I’ve heard is most of the parts stores are selling the Chinese version which is supposed to be lower quality. I see the 4 piston sell on eBay all the time for less than what I paid when I did this a couple years back. The 6 piston I’ve seen for about $650.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not sure as the links didn’t go to parts. Although these days from what I’ve heard is most of the parts stores are selling the Chinese version which is supposed to be lower quality. I see the 4 piston sell on eBay all the time for less than what I paid when I did this a couple years back. The 6 piston I’ve seen for about $650.

Autozone lists them at $89+$30 core. $240 for the pair is cheaper than I can find on eBay.
What was the source you had for the crossover line? You said $30 for the pre-bent set?

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Autozone lists them at $89+$30 core. $240 for the pair is cheaper than I can find on eBay.
What was the source you had for the crossover line? You said $30 for the pre-bent set?
I can’t recall where they were. I thought it was on the original post. What I was saying above was they back then you got rebuilt real Brembo calipers and now they are substituting cheaper knock off chinese copies. I’ve seen Shelby selling the full takeoff kit for for 399 a few times and that’s calipers with xovers, rotors and shields. But if you are comfortable with those at autozone go for it. I have been exceptionally happy with mine.

clinton2003

Established Member

I can’t recall where they were. I thought it was on the original post. What I was saying above was they back then you got rebuilt real Brembo calipers and now they are substituting cheaper knock off chinese copies. I’ve seen Shelby selling the full takeoff kit for for 399 a few times and that’s calipers with xovers, rotors and shields. But if you are comfortable with those at autozone go for it. I have been exceptionally happy with mine.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/so-you-want-brembo-brakes.1071234/page-2#post-14882268

but appears his link is dead, i searched and found this, may or may not be the same (link said bm42-01a, this is bm42-01.... sooo...)

Caliper Crossover Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread