So you want Brembo brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I had another thread, but I said I'd post a little more specific one as I got around to it. For all those who've wanted to upgrade to Brembo's but don't want to pay the absurd prices people want for a used set, here's a cheaper route. (and after turning wrenches over 20 years, I don't know why anyone would buy and install used rotors........if you do, just go ahead and assume you'll be back into your brake system next week to solve the shakes and vibrations, not to mention the cost to ship that worthless hunk of metal)

First, be ready to work at it and be patient. There aren't a whole lot of cores available for the remans. In my case, I got the drivers and then had to wait 9 days to get the passengers side. Goto Autozone or Advance auto. If you call them, they will tell you that they don't have them and they aren't available. This is the response they are told to give you because in order to get them, they have to call Cardone and confirm when they will get it and that requires time they simply don't want to invest in every person who calls in. The cost is $99 + a $30 core each and your respective states taxes. $260 later you'll have a pair of calipers that will be in unfinished gray. They do not come with the crossover tubes as they assume you will be reusing your old ones. You can buy the exact crossover tubes for $40 + shipping online, or you can buy a pair of PAE308 steel brake lines from Autozone for $9 and bend them yourself. It's not hard, fill the line with play sand and carefully bend them as needed. Remove sand and clean. Wahlah you have crossover tubes. You now have $269 in a pair of calipers. (make sure you specify to get the reman WITH hardware....they will leave the hardware out and then you'll be spending another $35 for the hardware kit if you don't) While at Autozone, you can grab a can of Caliper paint for about $7 in the color of your choice.....$266. If you are really anal retentive and want the brembo logo on them, the high temp decals are on ebay for $5 shipped......$271. At this point, you decide if you want to buy new dust shields (or as Ford labels them, Splash shields) Obviously you'll need new pads to fit the brembo caliper. Pick and choose your rotors of choice. I went this route, painted my own calipers and even added the decals. I've already mocked it up and it all works fine, I'm just waiting on my rotors to arrive........I chose to wait an extra 8 days to get free shipping from a local vendor who warrants the rotors against defects and warping. Below are pictures of the calipers before and after a coat of caliper paint. I'll add a few later on with the calipers installed. Just trying to save those who want to do this conversion a few bucks. No need to spend $600-$800 bucks on a used set only to get trashed rotors with used pads. I have not yet put the crossover tubes on in this picture. (also, don't expect show quality from these reman calipers. They will probably have a few cosmetic dings) EDIT: Part numbers have been added with pictures below.

IMG_4889_zpsmxm71j1o.jpg

IMG_4888_zpsecuphepc.jpg

IMG_4910_zpsaghrauys.jpg

Last edited:

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Do you have the Autozone or Advanced Auto part #? My store has 12 year olds working at it that can't even spell brake let alone try and find them in their computer.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Great write up. I was reading the last thread too.
I plan on buying a set of these while they still exist as a replacement for when my OEM set get thrashed from track use.

I agree this thread needs part number for each of the items, though.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Do you have the Autozone or Advanced Auto part #? My store has 12 year olds working at it that can't even spell brake let alone try and find them in their computer.

god this is so true. My store has the opposite, the folks apparently work there during their recess from the retirement community/hospus, as they're all over 70 years old. Needless to say I have part #s before I go in, but I hardly have to go there.

Sloppy12

Established Member
Been looking at new brakes, was looking at the will wood setup but will end up going this route now. Thanks for the write up man.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member

Ask and Ye shall receive! With a picture no less to aid the 12 year olds! To my knowledge, the part numbers are the same at any store, but just in case the 5128 is driver and 5129 is passenger. The bag is hardware in case you don't get it with the caliper.

Advance Auto Parts
IMG_4924_zpsvmw0mylb.jpg

AutoZone
IMG_4925_zps3t9i59sl.jpg

Advance Auto Parts
IMG_4926_zpsccjedfd4.jpg

And I finished the paint on the Passenger's caliper. You can see some of the previous owners bashing it on the upper right part where it has large dings. I don't care about dings or aesthetics, I care about function.
IMG_4927_zpstabjyuwg.jpg

As I continue I'll update with pictures and any issues that may arise!

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
****I have since determined that the 308 line is about an inch short of what is needed to follow the factory designed path for the crossover tube. It can work, however I'd step up to the 10"*******

Also, this is the brake line if you wish to bend it yourself. The part number is generic and the same at most all stores, though I have seen variants that add an X or other letter. It's on ebay as well as stocked in most Autozones
PAE-308_zps9svd4mnk.png

Last edited:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Thank you. I will be doing this. What is your total anticipated cost?

Well it will vary based on what you choose for rotors. Stock rotors from autozone can be had for about $50 each which would add $100 to the $275 worth of calipers and put you just south of $400 after the governor gets his share (state taxes) The dust shield isn't a must have, though I figure I'll just modify the stock one to accept the Brembo caliper. All told, I'd say if you do it right and are patient you can do it under $500 and have all nice parts.

At some point I'll delve into the rears and find a way to convert them into something a little more performance oriented. When I do, I'll pass it along as well.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
Well it will vary based on what you choose for rotors. Stock rotors from autozone can be had for about $50 each which would add $100 to the $275 worth of calipers and put you just south of $400 after the governor gets his share (state taxes) The dust shield isn't a must have, though I figure I'll just modify the stock one to accept the Brembo caliper. All told, I'd say if you do it right and are patient you can do it under $500 and have all nice parts.

At some point I'll delve into the rears and find a way to convert them into something a little more performance oriented. When I do, I'll pass it along as well.

Awesome...that is way better than $650-$800 for a take off kit that would need new pads and rotors anyways. Plus you can take your time and paint them perfectly. I will be going to my autozone today and requesting the parts below:
5128 for the driver @ $99.99 + $30 core since I don't have the core.
5129 for the passenger @ $99.99 + $30 core since again no core.
2 cross-over tubes @ $40 + shipping or PAE308 Tubes for around $9.00 that would need to be bent.
Brembo logo and caliper paint of choice @ $20 max
Rotors for both sides @ $100.00
Pads for both sides @ $100.00
Brembo dust shield (not sure on cost maybe $50?).
Total Cost: $490 before tax using all above figures minus the dust shield.

Does that sound like everything?
Any idea on the approximate cost for the dust shields? I couldn't find any for sale online through a vendor.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Your don't need the dust shield, if anything get the brake cooling kit that comes with shields with the money saved.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
what if you want the 6 piston version that come on the 13/14 gt500's?

I already looked into that as well. They do not currently have part numbers for the 6 piston units, which means they probably don't sell them. At that point, you've gotten into a very uncommon caliper and are probably going to have to either suck it up and pay Ford, or pay somebody way to much for a "big brake kit." I have seen the 6 piston setups selling on ebay for about $800-$900 on average. Another things to think about (read: another thing for someone else to research) is that many Brembo's can be adapted to multiple cars with only a change of the bracket to bolt them up. Knowing that there are many, many cars out there running Brembos (like SRT8's, CTSV's etc) I'm sure there is a way to adapt them to our cars. But I'm content with 4 piston setups at this point. Maybe in the future I'll dive into the 6 and see what works and what doesn't. I did notice that the Autozone and Advance websites showed the 4 piston on the cars that had 6 piston setups, so I'd be cautious in ordering anything without 100% verification.

And on the dust shields, I'm not really sure. You could probably call someone like Mustang Parts Specialties in Winder GA for a set, but I recall them being a bit high on their pricing for stock parts.

skipnay

Established Member
Awesome write up. I just looked at a set for $600 and was thinking after I bought rotors and brake pads I will be close to $1000. I actually just checked my pads and I'm at 5/32 front and 4/32 in the rear. We need 2/32 for bonded and 3/32 for rivited brakes to pass inspection. So I will have to figure out what I'm going to do in the next year.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
OK a little update. It seems to me that the PAE308 brake line is about an inch shorter than we really need. I made it work, however I can honestly say if you aren't extrememly patient or willing to sacrifice a little aesthetic quality then you'll need a slightly longer line. I'll add some pictures later, but the 308 line will not make it around in the groove that is on the end of the caliper. I had to go above it to make it work. All told, I think I'd order the premade lines and shell out the $40 as the saving isn't worth the work. God forbid when I get it all together those lines end up leaking.......it won't be a pretty sight. Also, make sure if you do make your own lines that you get them bent into the correct shape BEFORE you paint the caliper. Otherwise you'll be painting the caliper again.

Firstang001

Established Member
I have always craved for Brembo breaks. Thank you do much for such a nice writeup!! Willl look into this as soon as I can. :rockon:

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Here are the pictures as promised. Again, the line is shorter than needed thus I recommend getting the 10" instead of the 8". However I'm going to forge ahead the way they are now. I'm after functionality not show car quality. You'll notice that the installation caused me to chip the black caliper paint. Be sure to fit your crossover BEFORE you paint. Lesson learned. I reviewed quite a few pictures from track packs and Shelby's and the lines from Brembo seem to be more about function as well, with some having slightly different bends than others. Of course, this is all dependent on the line not impeding the wheel when installed.....but I'll find out when the rotors arrive.
IMG_4976_zpsphqlopyv.jpg

IMG_4975_zpsm8wi1upx.jpg

IMG_4974_zpsb5xpm2vb.jpg

IMG_4973_zps975hdu79.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread