So where do you actually take your Shelby?

Ablaze

Established Member
I just came back from a 400 mile adventure with the woman. We went into the "mountains". Didn't know I was going into the mountains at the time (she set the GPS as per normal).. was fun navigating around trying not to completely destroy the car. Left without a scratch. But I won't be doing that anymore. Even if it was nice to see down over the valley as I rarely travel this far upstate.

Og4CvuVp.jpg

Then I realized. Despite.. the fact I've put 4x as many miles on my Shelby than I did my last GT in a quarter of the time I'm also considerably more anal about where I take it. I'm always concerned about some kid keying it or parking at a crowded mall. So it's more rare she goes out, but when she does, she goes a lot further. Ultimately I started wondering.. where are all the other Shelbys? It's extremely rare I see another Shelby and I've never seen another 13/14 on the road. I want to take it out everywhere but it does bother me seeing a packed parking lot and immediately I think "glad I didn't bring the GT500.."

What about you guys? Do you take any precautions? Limit your travel, weather? Locations? Just don't care and leave it for the next guy to deal with? It is just a car, after all.. but ultimately where do you guys actually go with your Shelbys?

barspen

Established Member
No doubt a GT500 is a special car, but I pretty much treat it like any other car...I rely on it to get me from point A to point B. There are a few places I wont take it a night, but for the most part I don't worry too much. I am careful not to park next to raised trucks (door dings). Also found turning off the odometer display made me stress less about putting too many miles on her.

shelby2

Established Member
I had to chuckle when I read this post. The reason being is I take her everywhere I go. Year round as long as the snow is not above my front bumper, otherwise she is my chariot. I understand people and garaging them, and saving milage, so forth.But that's not me. I'm the 3rd owner and got it with less then 2600 miles. I almost bit it in the military a couple of times, so I have a unique aspect on life. Way to short, and you never know when you're tickets punched, I don't want to get to heaven and see someone else driving my car. I have two sets of wheels and tires, KR rims have snow tires for winter duty, and Chrome CS40 with summer tires. I actually modded the car alott and have over 750 to the rears. I guess it's all what you like to do, me I love seeing/ looking at her, and consider her part of the family. Something happens I can always fix it. Just means you get better parts.LOL Remember what Carol wanted and said "these cars were ment to be driven, and he wanted to create a super car that the average hard working blue collar person could afford. Since my car is also my pride and joy I don't mind cleaning it, and I actually find it very enjoyable. The question is what do you feel comfortable doing with your GT500.image.jpg

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
My 2011 gt500 is a fun day car, but has been driven from philly to Orlando for the mickyard show at magic kingdom a few years ago, Charlotte, Buffalo and this year the finger lakes rally up near Rochester NY. Right around 5k per year give or take. Mobile wash kit permanently in the trunk of course.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439849934.678321.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439850011.555866.jpg

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
It's driven mostly on the weekends for me. I avoid driving it to work downtown because I'm just asking for it. It is my grocery getter and I do drive it to the gym, both of which are only a couple miles away from home. Farthest I've taken it was three hour drive to Myrtle Beach (Mustang Week) a few years ago and I'm planning on attending next year's. I am taking it to north GA next month for the 1/2 mile runs, which I'll be participating in. Bought the car new 5 years ago. Just over 12.4k miles now.

updt005_zpsjk3nre7q.jpg

nwgt500%20001ww_zpsbfbnfycw.jpg

Ablaze

Established Member
You guys sound pretty brave if you're all serious. I'm heading out to do some errands for the puppies and may take the Shelby instead. Try and put my big boy pants on. If dust gets on the tires hopefully someone here will hold me while I cry.

shelby2

Established Member
Absolutely drive her, the more you do the more you'll want to take her out. Look at it like theropy. It can turn any bad day into a good one. We are so fortunes to have such fun cars! Oh by the way was definitely serious, this is a picture after our last nasty snow storm last year. We turn the water off at the house so I take it to the local car bay to get the snow/ salt crap off it. For those that garage their cars this may be sacrilege, be warned the picture contains a graphic image.LOL:banana:
image.jpg

Last edited:

DGladhill

Established Member
Anywhere I drive any car. I've taken it on several ~500+/- round trips, I take it to Walmart and park with everyone else, I take it to get groceries. The only damage it's received ( small dent on the hood ) was due to me being 'tarded.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
My trip to Rochester was 1200 miles over 3 days. She purred like a pissed off kitten the whole way and it was glorious. Minus the losing a weight on the wheel part. Still need to get that rebalanced.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I'm a picky bitch when it comes to driving mine...only reason being I have little faith in my fellow humans anymore. I see people texting and crossing over the road lines daily so the last thing I need is some jack ass hitting my lady. Mainly I drive it to work on the weekends. I'll drive it anywhere there's a car gathering though or to family get togethers...no malls...no movie theaters....never ever.

She's 3 years old , has 9200 miles and Ive owned the title since 2013 so I treat her like my kid lol.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Drive her, driver her every chance you get. My Shelby is not my commute car, thats what the lexus is for. Occasionally, Shelby will go with me to work if Im going to do something to her. All other miles, I jump in her no questions asked.

If you live in an area where people DGAF, then I can see why you'd be leery. Any damage can happen to any car at anytime though. Im not afraid of a few nicks or even dents. I make my own destiny on the road. Maybe its a habit after riding Harleys for almost 8 years, but I dictate how people react to me by how they see and hear me. Scared the shit outta someone? Good means they see me now.

At the end of the day, shes a car and in blows my mind when i see guys that have owned theirs over a year or two and have under 1000 miles. !!!!

Honestly why I steer clear of the shelbyforums unless its something I find on google search. I even saw one guy had purchased every part inside the car he touched, just so he could have a brand new one installed when he wanted. I mean, love your car but goddamned thats beyond overkill.

TLDR: Its a fast fun balls to the wall car. Drive her!

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
The first year you will treat it like a show car then the ocd will tapper off and you'll start to enjoy the car more. I've had mine over 4 years since brand new and just cracked 19k miles. A 4-5 hour trip is about my limit in it then I would rather take my truck, comfort wise.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Bought the 11 & looked for excuses to take it out, like a kid with a new toy.
............( 9036.1 miles to date )
Treat the 14 differently, cruise nights, car shows, etc. ( 1482.0 miles )
I will take either or both out in the winter, as long as there is no snow or salt on the road. The past 2 winters have been very limiting on the driving, the streets were white for weeks @ a time.

Last edited:

efroeh

Established Member
i love driving my car puts a smile on my face all the time. i have little over 11000 km on it (6800 miles). this is the 2nd season that i have driven it. I do take it for groceries or with the old lady out to date night. I try not to have it sit out side at night or drive it in the rain. I know its a vehicle but it stays cleaner in the garage and not driving it in the rain. i live in Canada so winters its in storage cause well it sometimes hard to get around in my 4x4 truck.

SirShaun

Established Member
Mine is a weekend car. Sits a lot in the garage Monday-Friday unless I get the urge to take her out locally one evening. It never sees rain and if it does I am crying about it, plus holding on for dear life due to Hooser DRs. I do drive it to car shows and car meets, and entertain a street brawl or two occasionally. Since modding it, I've used it on multiple occasions to make old guys feel young again, remind people to breathe, and am almost a part time heart Doctor as I ask about heart problems before letting her eat. The smile at the end is always the same. I think she is up to almost 17000 miles.

This winter I plan on upgrading the rear end and putting a clutch in it for a side stepping good time. Next year it will probably see some track time.

GarageQueen.jpg

Kill Mode2.jpg

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Drive mine everywhere, except for job sites. Too much softsand/muck/construction crap to risk getting it stuck in there.

Go to the gym in it, groceries, mall, random adventures. I try to park next to a corner, but I won't go way out of my way to park it somewhere "safe". I used to park safe with the Lightning after I bought it( aka parking away from everyone). Got broken into and keyed.

I figure if you park it closer to the store it's less likely someone will break into the car with the amount of pedestrians nearby rather out 300 from the store.

Haven't taken it to a carshow yet.

Edit: the only time I avoid driving it is after I wax it and there's a good chance of rain the next day. Other than that and when it's a tad dirty, I'll drive it in rain. Don't care, the paint won't melt.

Last edited:

einehund

Established Member
Mine is a 3 season daily. Took it on two different 2000 mile (round trip) trips this summer. Beat on it at the strip. It is about to go BACK TO GERMANY (F YEAH!!! MORE AUTOBAHN FUN). In the 5 months since winter stopped, i've got 10400 miles on her. And I've loved almost every minute.

Users who are viewing this thread